Underdrive Crank Pulley's

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Hi Guys, I recently came across this concept of underdrive pulleys, and searching on here I have found it mentioned only 4 times and there is a hell of a lot of knowledge on this site.

On Tegiwa's website (and lets just leave some peoples opinions on Tegiwa alone here please) they have just released this product for the DC5 at £95. The blurb on the product goes like this...

"This pulley increases performance by reducing the engine's rotating mass and by adjusting the pulley size ratio this kit offers improved acceleration, quicker throttle response. The underdrive percentage is less than 20% which still allows the engine to maintain factory specified outputs for the ancillaries. This pulley gives a 5 - 7HP gain over a standard pulley and weighs just 0.456kg (TEGIWA) Vs 1910kg (OEM). The pulley is supplied with a brand new matching auxiliary belt for an easy install."

(Yes Tegiwa says an OEM pulley weighs in at 1910KG!!! Tegiwa if you're reading this I think you made a typo lol)

So this makes complete sense to me but nobody has really talked about them even though it seems a couple of people on here have used them.

If you do a quick google around you'll see a lot of people saying don't go there due to harmonic imbalance issues (straight over my head), and on the other side of the coin a lot of people saying they have had theirs for thousands of miles with no adverse effects.

Now im looking at this and thinking, I don't believe my Auxiliary belt has even been changed and looks pretty old, a new aux belt costs circa £45 and if you're planning on changing it why not spend another £40 and add an extra 5-7 bhp if its not much more work? Isn't 5-7 bhp for £40 some pretty big bang for your buck? (not that its that big relatively speaking for our engine outputs).

Im not chasing huge power figures, nor am I a power whore but I thought this was worth discussing. So does anyone here know what they're talking about when it comes to these crank pulley's?

beppe786

Beppe
Wont do jack.. 0.5hp... if your running very high power maybe then few hp.. just to squeeze out every last power

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I asked this question a little while ago as I liked the look of the Buddyclub pulleys but most seemed to mention the damper or lack of one with aftermarket applications.

I chose to stick with the standard pulley which was a tough one to swallow as I had to replace mine and the oem crank pulley cost me circa £150!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i had the AEM kit on my car which was power steering and alternator, i only removed it as i had charging issues as the alternator ran too slowly, BUT i had a huge audio system installed at the time.

they can work but really need the crank, but as its been mentioned they really need a harmonic balancer built in (which some have)