Underseal. How far do I go ?

ollydc5

Advanced Member
How far do I really need to go with the underseal ? Some guys are just slapping it on the underneath, some are removing arch liners and others are going full chassis and running gear removal.

I want to do my best by the car but keep things sensible

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
how much was it for yours again Adam? might look into this myself. Pro garage wasn't it? text if you like

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Only dreaming I can get it that good, did you remove all of the underneath to get that result ?

Rom

Advanced Member
I dropped my tank and exhaust etc down to do mine

Ignore the missing patch, ran out, had to order more

In all honesty, you don't need to drop the tank, nor the exhaust to an extent, as it will be hot enough to dry moisture near it. The main bits are arches and under sills. These are the high risk areas.

I'd also strip the rear arches, and protect from the inside. With Dynax 50 or similar

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Thanks so much for the photos and info, I'm using yours as a benchmark ha ha. Great job

wj51fut

Advanced Member
ollydc5 said:
Only dreaming I can get it that good, did you remove all of the underneath to get that result ?
Haha! Thanks.

I done the arches and I removed the suspension to do this. Plus of course the liner etc. as for the underside, I got Progarage to do it. I asked to remove the cat back and fuel tank. This way it can be done to the whole car. It's having a refresh in November. Other parts being powder coated too.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I removed most things including fuel tank, suspension, liners, front wings, bumpers, side skirts lights, exhaust, fuel lines, brake lines.. basically the whole lot aside from the subframe.

I would advise leaving the tank fitted, there was part of mine rubbing on the chassis leaving bare metal. If I left it, corrosion would go completely unnoticed until it was really bad.

Bilt Hamber make really good products, I used Dynax UC. It's a clear wax in an aerosol that goes on lovely and allows you to visually inspect without having to take a layer off as you would normally have to with a dark wax.

I also used something like this, it made the job much easier. http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Paint-Defender-Spray-Trigger/dp/B00BHH1QT4

It's not a fun job, but it's future proofing. Fixing rust is a lot less fun. :)

Kevin85

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
Other parts being powder coated too.
Powder coating can create major problems if the seal gets broken by a rogue stone, for example. Capillary action causes moisture to creep underneath and causes havoc, all while the surface remains pretty. Bad times.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Man I'm starting to think this is going to be a massive job. I was going to do this on the drive but I'm starting to think I'm going to need a ramp.

Many thanks for the advise and guidance :)