Underseal or not

chris cc

Authorised Advertiser
Hi All,

Not quite a "newbie" yet so i thought i'd post here.
I have heard and read conflicting reports about undersealing jap imports. Some owners i know say they are fine as they are and others underseal them. I figured this might depend on the make of car so I'm curious to know whether Dc5 owners feel it's necessary to give their cars extra coat underneath.

My 2nd question is whether your mileage reading was adjusted backwards when the speedo conversion from kmph to mph was done.
I think it's about 1.6km to the mile so that can add up to quite a difference.

looking forward to returning to the honda crew

Chris

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
hi

I undersealed mine, saw a minor rust appearing, so took no chance.

As to the KM to Miles issue. On the DC5, the first 'x' is in KM, after conversion the rest is in miles

Mike

Erm

Advanced Member
i got mine undersealed too! only £100 so wasnt worth not doing it!

and now its all black underneath......looks nicer for when its in teh garage :p :lol:

T666YPR

Got mine undersealed too.

Apparently in Japan it doesn't matter so much,but in the UK we salt our roads so is a necessity.

Get your importer to throw it in F.O.C. like I did and you've got no come back.

My car only had 82 miles & kilometeres on it so no problem.

Can't say there's anyway to dial it back.

chris cc

Authorised Advertiser
Thanks for the replies,

Underseal it is. I think i could have picked a better weekend for getting the car. Maybe mod it with a propellor and rudder.
Talking of which how well do you find the car handles standing water?
Tyres obviously important in this so i'll have a look at see what are on mine.

CharlesW

Chris

The other alternative is to Waxoyl it. This has the advantage that you can protect the inside of voids as well as the underside of the car. You can do it yourself if you have access to a ramp or a pit.

Exposed parts of the underside will probably require re-treatment every couple of years. Also you can get it in "clear", so the underside of the car is not a black mess.

I have an 8 year old imported WRX which has been waxoyled every now and again. It has survived 6 years and over a 100,000 miles of Scottish winters.

As to your other question, the supplier of my DC5 just changed the speedo to MPH. He did not wind it back, but he supplied a certificate to say the first so many thousands on the clock were KM and not miles.