underseal

salsaboy

Advanced Member
Hi guys looking to buy a teg on saturday (hopefully).thing is i will need to underseal it.my question is..is it worth doing it my self or pay someone to do it?just wondered how difficult ah job to do and roughly how long.

Thanks Mike K-g

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Not sure where you are in the world but TGM do it, and will do a good job.

Place who done mine covered the manifold and various other components, lol. I had smoke pouring out from the bonnet for a few days and recently had to clean a fer reservoir tanks of it.

salsaboy

Advanced Member
dont mind the mess.. is it just straight forward slap it on with a brush? i'm in central birmingham.

Mike K-g

obizzle32

Advanced Member
Sorry to jump in on the thread but I only done mine the other day. I'll say it will take a good day to do by yourself (doing a good job of it). If your going to brush it on consider buying a can of spray on stuff aswel, its will just make the finished look alot better especially around those wheel arches!

nick's-cw

Advanced Member

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
Easy but can get messy, i used hammerite underseal (contains waxoyl) for places that i could get to with a brush and have direct contact.
For the rest i used the hammerite waxoyl but the high pressure tin with pump then can spray it into places that dont have direct contact with the road (places like wheel arches are considered to have direct contact). Other places light above the fuel tank and above exhaust are unlikely to see direct contact with stones and water so be ok with just waxoyl.

Much easier if you can get the car on a proper lift, i do mine on axle stands and lying on my back in the road :D

Worth noting you should remove any heavy rust and the parts being sealed should be dry. You will likely have light surface rust in places, wirebrush them to sort them anything heavier then that, hammerite rust removing gel does a good job.

I was lucky with mine it hadn't been sealed since coming into the country but was was fairly clean when i bought it, just gave it the underside and archs a wash and allowed to dry before sealing.

CosKev

As above,pretty easy but very messy!

If its got alot of dirt/dust on the underside I would power wash it off a few days before you plan on undersealing,don't underseal over dirt like some people do.

Or you could do it like I've just done my Evo,strip everything off and take the underside back to bare metal:

salsaboy

Advanced Member
As above,pretty easy but very messy!

If its got alot of dirt/dust on the underside I would power wash it off a few days before you plan on undersealing,don't underseal over dirt like some people do.

Or you could do it like I've just done my Evo,strip everything off and take the underside back to bare metal:

wow thats brill..never seen anything like it.

jambo

Advanced Member
i done it in white as my car never goes out in the rain and is only used on nice days. I thought it would look nicer so thats why i went white. The black in photo 2 is the wheel arch that was also done.

C2AXG

Advanced Member
What did you use to paint it white?
I'm going to attempt mine soon.
I guess you have to scrape all the old shite off then start again?