unichip

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
does any one know what version of the unichip you can buy for the DC5? or are they all universal?

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
urr don't let any 'chip' near a teg!

Only way to map the K20 is with a good 'ol (and expensive) kpro or K100 i'm afraid, some cheapo plug in module will at best do nothing/lose you some power and at worst completely trash your engine.

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
urr don't let any 'chip' near a teg!

Only way to map the K20 is with a good 'ol (and expensive) kpro or K100 i'm afraid, some cheapo plug in module will at best do nothing/lose you some power and at worst completely trash your engine.

uni chip is a piggy back ecu not a cheap plug and play module almost as good as a kpro.

Stoo

Whining.....
uni chip is a piggy back ecu not a cheap plug and play module almost as good as a kpro.
Nowhere near as good as a kpro.

A unichip is a universal chip with a generic map on it.

Kpro or k100 is mapped specifically to your mods/engine yielding better results.

I'd avoid a chip at all costs.

Peter D

Advanced Member
Nowhere near as good as a kpro.

A unichip is a universal chip with a generic map on it.

Kpro or k100 is mapped specifically to your mods/engine yielding better results.

I'd avoid a chip at all costs.
You obviously dont have a clue what youre talking about

Peter D

Advanced Member
^ A Unichip isn't just a plug and play chip, you're thinking of the likes of a "Superchip".. A piggyback ECU requires a remap, it just, as it says, "piggybacks" onto the standard ECU and over-rides the settings

I have a Dastek Unichip on mine, cost me £495 supplied, fitted, and mapped to the car...with a power run before and after mapping to show before/after power

Heres the graph -

Over 30 lb/ft more torque at 2500 RPM was the biggest gain.. It gained everywhere in the rev range but main gains were low down, the difference was unreal when i drove it after, instead of slugging along it pulled so much harder out of VTEC

The mods with this are an Apexi exhaust and a HKS mushroom induction kit..

Also note this was mapped on 95 RON fuel, the mapper said he couldn't push the car near as hard as he could of with higher octane fuel. But using Vpower or super unleaded isn't an option for me because of where i live

There is also a thread think it's either on here or Type-R Owners, that shows a Kpro and Dastek Unichip going head to head and the Kpro only makes about 2bhp more, maybe even slightly less than that!

Stoo

Whining.....
Fair enough example.
I wasn't aware of this type. I didn't know it was a piggyback type affair.

However, I'd still go for k100/kpro over a unichip imho.

The superchip type I would definitely avoid.

Good info though.

Peter D

Advanced Member
Here is the graph showing the test between Kpro and Unichip...with both of them overlaid onto the same graph

They are very close, the only real difference being at 5500RPM when the lowered VTEC point on the Kpro engages

Stoo

Whining.....
I still personally feel that Kpro, as a dedicated K series ECU tuning tool, is more suited to the application.

Vtec can be set to engage at the optimal point when mapping.

Peter D

Advanced Member
I still personally feel that Kpro, as a dedicated K series ECU tuning tool, is more suited to the application.

Vtec can be set to engage at the optimal point when mapping.
Of course it is more suited yeah but bhp/£ the Unichip is better.. Just as a rough guide, how much is a brand new Kpro ECU? How much would fitting cost? How much would it cost for mapping? The Dastek Unichip was £495 for all that..

Not sure what version mine is Jonny i just booked mine to get one fitted at Wallace Performance in Aberdeen, they are distributors of the Dastek ECU's so they did everything.. It was only a couple month though so it will be the new style that you see

I also had one on my old 106 Rallye it made 124bhp (from standard 103bhp) with a Dastek, Kent cam, vernier pulley, 4 brancher, PiperX filter and backbox (standard center section and cat)...decent gains on a 1.6 8v

petie180

Advanced Member
Of course it is more suited yeah but bhp/£ the Unichip is better.. Just as a rough guide, how much is a brand new Kpro ECU? How much would fitting cost? How much would it cost for mapping? The Dastek Unichip was £495 for all that..

Not sure what version mine is Jonny i just booked mine to get one fitted at Wallace Performance in Aberdeen, they are distributors of the Dastek ECU's so they did everything.. It was only a couple month though so it will be the new style that you see

I also had one on my old 106 Rallye it made 124bhp (from standard 103bhp) with a Dastek, Kent cam, vernier pulley, 4 brancher, PiperX filter and backbox (standard center section and cat)...decent gains on a 1.6 8v
does this uni chip bring the vtec in sooner an does it let the car rev past nine?

Stoo

Whining.....
Why on earth would you want to rev past 9??

Do you have uprated valve train or oil system?

petie180

Advanced Member
I wouldnt want it to at all just heard rumours that it does..that's why I asked..be mental letting it rev that far

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Have used the unichips in various cars and had great results, the kpro is an awesome piece of kit and comes at a price. I've also been looking into the greddy emanage ultimate. Biggest down fall to the piggy backs is wiring them into the loom which can be a pain where as the kpro's being a 2 minute fit. Good to see the dastek results and also good to see people using different methods of tuning and being a bit more cost effective