Upgrades to my DC5 - advice needed

DanielJames

Hello,

I've recently got my DC5 and there's a few things I want to do it.

Firstly I want some wind deflectors - how much are these new from Honda if at all still available? If not, what third party options are available?

Secondly, I want to upgrade the speakers. For whatever reason the speakers that are fitted, whether OEM or not, seem to produce zero bass. There is also a rattle from the drives side rear door card when the volume is above say half way. Common fault?

Thirdly, I believe my exhaust heatshield is rattling on the manifold. Do many people run without these fitted? I have done on previous cars, but I wasn't sure with the exhaust manifold being to the rear of the K20 engine.

Finally, my car doesn't have the C pack fitted. Well, it has an engine start button but no rear wiper or folding mirrors. To be honest I'm glad it has no rear wiper but would like the mirrors. Is this a common retro fit?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Cammy

I rarely ever use the power mirrors, I don't think its something anyone uses much unless you park on a very narrow street - probably isn't worth retro-fitting?

DanielJames

Cammy said:
I rarely ever use the power mirrors, I don't think its something anyone uses much unless you park on a very narrow street - probably isn't worth retro-fitting?
I just think they look cool. Appeals to my geeky JDM side ;)

MaxJ

Advanced Member
Hi.

1. Wind deflectors are still available new - http://goo.gl/jjjZA1 - the other option is to keep an eye on cars that are being broken for parts. However, if you‘re going to spend the money I‘d go new, as a lot of the older ones are foggy.
2. The OEM speakers might be made from paper they‘re that bad. They‘re worth upgrading, but the DC5 doesn‘t benefit from a huge amount of sound deadening so I would get some mid-range as high-end speakers may not deliver what they‘re made for without other work to your car. Also remember that the back speakers are the ones you hear the most as they‘re actually closer to your ears.
3. Unsure about the heat shield being a common ‘fault‘. However, I‘ve never known removing one being an issue.
4. I can imagine fitting the folding mirrors would be a bit of work. I use mine pretty much everywhere I park, and especially if I leave the car somewhere I don‘t know, as kids love kicking them off.

Hope that helps a bit.

Max

DanielJames

MaxJ said:
Hi.

1. Wind deflectors are still available new - http://goo.gl/jjjZA1 - the other option is to keep an eye on cars that are being broken for parts. However, if you‘re going to spend the money I‘d go new, as a lot of the older ones are foggy.
2. The OEM speakers might be made from paper they‘re that bad. They‘re worth upgrading, but the DC5 doesn‘t benefit from a huge amount of sound deadening so I would get some mid-range as high-end speakers may not deliver what they‘re made for without other work to your car. Also remember that the back speakers are the ones you hear the most as they‘re actually closer to your ears.
3. Unsure about the heat shield being a common ‘fault‘. However, I‘ve never known removing one being an issue.
4. I can imagine fitting the folding mirrors would be a bit of work. I use mine pretty much everywhere I park, and especially if I leave the car somewhere I don‘t know, as kids love kicking them off.

Hope that helps a bit.

Max
Excellent thanks mate!

Those wind deflectors are a bit pricey. What's the going rate on second hand ones?

Thanks for the comments on the other questions :)

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Get yourself a small roll of fatmat for when you fit the speakers. I've done a fair bit of sound deadening to mine and it makes a huge difference to the acoustics in the car even with the standard speakers.
Going to the extent I have isn't for everyone but even a 1ft square patch around the speakers makes a difference. You're just trying to cut down on sound transfer through to the thin metal panels and even small patches stuck on a panel will prevent them from vibrating as much.
Also with the rattling, carefully remove the speaker grille and check there is a small square foam type insert between the grille and the panel. If these get lost it will be the grille rattling within its own recess. Hope that makes sense :)

DanielJames

davidpingu said:
Get yourself a small roll of fatmat for when you fit the speakers. I've done a fair bit of sound deadening to mine and it makes a huge difference to the acoustics in the car even with the standard speakers.
Going to the extent I have isn't for everyone but even a 1ft square patch around the speakers makes a difference. You're just trying to cut down on sound transfer through to the thin metal panels and even small patches stuck on a panel will prevent them from vibrating as much.
Also with the rattling, carefully remove the speaker grille and check there is a small square foam type insert between the grille and the panel. If these get lost it will be the grille rattling within its own recess. Hope that makes sense :)
Will be doing matey, cheers! Going to look into speakers now.

Anyone got any feedback on the eBay wind deflectors?

MaxJ

Advanced Member
DanielJames said:
Anyone got any feedback on the eBay wind deflectors?
DanielJames said:
Excellent thanks mate!

Those wind deflectors are a bit pricey. What's the going rate on second hand ones?

Thanks for the comments on the other questions :)
I wouldn't get anything other than OEM mate, although it depends how set on having your car looking original. I think the OEM ones look the best too, as is the case for most things. Aftermarket ones are usually smaller.

If you go second hand, drop Integrastella on eBay a message - he gets a few DC5's in that have been written off.

Ebay wind deflectors - http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/35766-wind-deflectors-from-usa-for-%C2%A338/?hl=%2Bwind+%2Bdeflectors