URGENT HELP needed

mike.williams

Advanced Member
hey guys

had an MOT 7 days ago failed badly on emissions, (excessively high on idle) i have the exact figures if anyones interested

the car has aem long arm cai and catback exhaust.

the garage said the CAT was suspect so i got a 2nd hand one spent 2 days under the car fitting it, took it back for the retest and the emissions were exactly the same.

it has had 2 new lambda sensors before i bought it in march, i have no warning light on the dash or anything

anyone experienced this?

cheers

mike

eXceed

Resident Driver
Take it to an MOT garage and add an extra £10 gratuity fee on top of the MOT charge. I never take it to spongebob SQUAREpants as what's the point in having a fail (from EMISSIONS!!) on your record?? Looks really bad on the car... Most likely that the tester is not performing the correct spec for your car if it's failing even with cat though.
For reference, mine was almost close to passing without a cat (I do have Kpro...)!

mike.williams

Advanced Member
What is it failing on.... Lambda, hydrocarbons or Co2?

2nd lambda sensor out of spec and think it was 0.93 and it had to be in between 0.97 and 1.03

think it might have been high Co2 on idle

are the tolerances the same for everycar?

leejw87

Spoon Whore
I think they are different hence why you have to enter in the vehicle details and age of the car into the emissions tester, but I can't be 100% as I don't do MOT's.

But If it's got too much co2 at idle I would say there could be a blocked filter, map sensor issue or something along those lines... When was it last serviced?

mike.williams

Advanced Member
I think they are different hence why you have to enter in the vehicle details and age of the car into the emissions tester, but I can't be 100% as I don't do MOT's.

But If it's got too much co2 at idle I would say there could be a blocked filter, map sensor issue or something along those lines... When was it last serviced?
serviced in april at tdi north, it seems to be running well though. its getting diagnosed tomorrow

hopefully they find something

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i would take it somewhere else, hondas in general will almost pass with no cats, i expect the operator put the wrong selections in. if the primary lambda is good then emissions at idle should be ok as its in closed loop then, not sure how he knos the rear lambda is out of spec, as it is only there to see if the cat is working, have you done an ecu reset after changing your cat?

mike.williams

Advanced Member
i would take it somewhere else, hondas in general will almost pass with no cats, i expect the operator put the wrong selections in. if the primary lambda is good then emissions at idle should be ok as its in closed loop then, not sure how he knos the rear lambda is out of spec, as it is only there to see if the cat is working, have you done an ecu reset after changing your cat?

I was unaware that the ecu had to be reset. Whats the procedure?

Regarding the 2nd sensor it says on the MOT failure that its out of spec

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Unplug the battery negative terminal for about 30 mins, reconnect then go for a 15 min drive using all the rev range.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
so ive just picked the car up and the following fault codes are present

P1167
P1166

he has advised me to change the 1st lambda sensor if that fails to correct the problem then the 2nd sensor. failing that he said it could be an ECU issue.

at the moment ive disconnected the -VE off the battery to reset the ECU.

anyone got more info on these fault codes?

Gpack

so ive just picked the car up and the following fault codes are present

P1167
P1166

he has advised me to change the 1st lambda sensor if that fails to correct the problem then the 2nd sensor. failing that he said it could be an ECU issue.

at the moment ive disconnected the -VE off the battery to reset the ECU.

anyone got more info on these fault codes?

If you can Pm me your email address i'll send you the full list of OBDII engine code faults
Those two are common with O2 sensor failures i think, the DC5 seems to have a common problem with the primary O2 sensor.
If you do a search on here there was a guy on here importing them from America a bit cheaper than going through Honda.
They are expensive because they are wide band as far as i know. That is for the Primary only though.

:xcheers:

Greg