urgent help

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
My ultra reliable laptop has just broken down, it has never failed and hardly ever crashed in the last 2 years

it won't boot, i get the screen asking which mode to boot in i.e safe mode, last known good working mode etc.

it doesn't matter what i choose i get some scrolling files then a blue screen for a second which seems to say the problem is
unmountable boot volume

what can i do??

Option

Advanced Member
You could try inserting the OS disc, booting from that and it might depending on which one it is do a scan and repair.

Stu

JDC5

Charged DC5
sorry to hear abt ur problem.. hope you get it sorted... i hope it wasnt an apple one by any chance?

JD

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
I suggest removing the hard drive and mounting as a slave in a working PC or using a USB caddy. Then BACKUP your important data before trying anything else.

Can you give more details from the blue screen?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
from the recovery console i ran
chkdsk /r (or something like that from hp's support pages)
took about 2 hrs but has seemed to sort the prob.
windows has booted now and i am currently copying files to another drive.

tedg

Advanced Member
Si, this isn't a good sign on the health of the hard disk......

just a good precaution but take a backup of your important files just in case.

tedg

Advanced Member
I would say there is no need to replace it until the hard disc does actually die.....

This sort of error can be caused by a spurious software,power or a 'one off' and will continue to function correctly for many years

But there is a chance that this is due to mechanical breakdown of the hardisc (usually contamination or sometimes a hard shock or something introducing wear into the bearing causing the platter to move beyonds it's tolerences)