Urgent! Loads smoke out exhaust and pouring oil.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Just sold cad and lad says he floored it in third, pressure dropped and smoke out by and oil leaking loads.

Help

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
CAD?

My bad, I guess you mean car but are a little flustered at the minute?

Unfortunately in this situation I'm assuming the car was sold as seen and could have done anything, could be a number of issues.

Edit I'm with C&S - ​How did he know "the pressure dropped" ?

moodyedge

Advanced Member
Exactly the same just happened with a high powered evo............apparently they rekon the guy just bought it and proceeded to floor it home, admitting to hitting 120mph, probably more and it blew..........hard luck really. Depends on the circumstances but you cant really trust anyone these days.

Chewy

Advanced Member
This has to be driver error, it's a well kept/looked after DC5, It shouldn't just go bang...

Hope you get it all sorted without too much hassle man.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Had a look, oil filter came loose. Tightened it back on, topped up oil . started fine. But idle pressure has dropped to 3500kpa, and seems to be decreasing slightly with loads and loads of oil coming out exhaust when revving.

Thoughts?

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
Thoughts?
Tell him not to rev the nuts off a car he has just bought and is still learning and a one that's not been used much due to owner having multiple cars.

I know I'm coming across as being a bit of a dick, but if you've sold the car with a good mind that it's sound... there is literally nothing you can do, plus the law is on your side. There are too many idiots out there now to give ANYONE "benefit of the doubt".

Phil r type

Advanced Member
My friend sold his wrx a couple of years back , was perfect in his ownership .but when he sold it the bottom end give up on new keeper on his way home ! As it happened the new keeper was gutted but said " there ticking time bombs " and did not give my friend a hard time over it. In the end he felt bad and as he got the asking price when he sold it , he gave £500 back to help :) its a tuff one hay ,do what ever is best for you dude

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Lukeyboi89 said:
Had a look, oil filter came loose. Tightened it back on, topped up oil . started fine. But idle pressure has dropped to 3500kpa, and seems to be decreasing slightly with loads and loads of oil coming out exhaust when revving.

Thoughts?
if there is oil actually coming out of the exhaust , thats bad news, it cant get in the combustion chamber from the oil filter coming loose, i would suggest going for a slow drive around the block see if the oil clears, then getbthe new owner to call the AA if it doesnt, its really not your problem, you dont know what he did after he left your house, he could easily have missed a gear.

moodyedge

Advanced Member
Phil r type said:
My friend sold his wrx a couple of years back , was perfect in his ownership .but when he sold it the bottom end give up on new keeper on his way home ! As it happened the new keeper was gutted but said " there ticking time bombs " and did not give my friend a hard time over it. In the end he felt bad and as he got the asking price when he sold it , he gave £500 back to help :) its a tuff one hay ,do what ever is best for you dude
Subaru engines are made of chocolate, dont buy one.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
update,

oil was NOT coming out of the exhaust, it was very dark so assumed it was but it was actually condensation, good news.

idle remained at 3000kpa, and under throttle went up to 6000kpa as it had done prior to this event.

new owner was NOT at fault, the filter came loose as it wasnt tightened properly, this is the fault of the garage.

plus in response to previous comments, if this happened to me i would be devastated, and as genuinely nice person i would feel a lot of guilt just leaving anyone to suffer and worry in this situation having just bought a new car!!!

anyway, touchwood everything seems ok so far, will get a mechanic to look at it and take it from there.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
your idle problem will be a stuck iacv. you could also reset ecu and see if it goes away

beppe786

Beppe
checked this morning.. cold idle is around 6.5kpa and fully warm idle is 2kpa.. under throttle goes to 6.5kpa

hope that helps.. think that's about normal and i have defi gauges so should be quite accurate, depending on health of engine some might be different

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
beppe said:
checked this morning.. cold idle is around 6.5kpa and fully warm idle is 2kpa.. under throttle goes to 6.5kpa

hope that helps.. think that's about normal and i have defi gauges so should be quite accurate, depending on health of engine some might be different
Perfect just what the car was getting. Thanks for your help.

Seems all is well now.

Cheers team

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
It's a tough one I know, and genuine enthusiasts will wanna help each other out when buying cars. Glad it's all well and sorted though. No messy situations to have to deal with.