Using inner brake lights as fogs AND brake lights - Legal?

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
My inner brake lights are currently wired up to be fogs-only. Would it be legal if I wired the inner brakes up so they came on under braking but also kept the switch to have them as fogs too?

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
Only thing it will fail on is fog not emitting red light but nail varnish sorts this out ;)

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
CaLi said:
Only thing it will fail on is fog not emitting red light but nail varnish sorts this out ;)
What do you mean fog won't emit red? I am talking about using the current fogs (both inners) as brake lights but keeping the switch to have them constantly on (as fog lights) ?

Sorry I meant inner brake lights.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
LiamGTR said:
What do you mean fog won't emit red? I am talking about using the current fogs (both inners) as brake lights but keeping the switch to have them constantly on (as fog lights) ?
Sorry I meant inner brake lights.
ahh my bad. Mine uses the reversing light as a fog. Dont think youd pass with fog being on brakelights

Mark_teg

Staff member
My inner brake lights are fog lights, but just for MOT day only. I always put them back to brake lights as it looks so good!

How often do you really need rear fog lights?. Nobody will catch up with me anyway ;)

wombles

Ive mine set so that both my inner brake light act as fog's when I have them switched on, but act as normal brake lights when the fogs are switched off, That setup passes M.O.T over here in N.I no problem so you should be grand !

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Glad to hear this, will definitely get it done at some point when I stop being lazy

dotty

Advanced Member
Ive mine set so that both my inner brake light act as fog's when I have them switched on, but act as normal brake lights when the fogs are switched off, That setup passes M.O.T over here in N.I no problem so you should be grand !
This is what I plan on doing. Have spoke to an auto sparky and he says I'll need a couple of diodes for it to be done.

dave7368

Advanced Member
or just swap the wires over from brake to fog at MOT time.

who uses their fog light anyway???!!!

mike.williams

Advanced Member
dotty said:
This is what I plan on doing. Have spoke to an auto sparky and he says I'll need a couple of diodes for it to be done.
Did he say what size diodes? The old diy thread on here has gone

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
CaLi said:
ahh my bad. Mine uses the reversing light as a fog. Dont think youd pass with fog being on brakelights
Well thats wrong as my inner brake lights have been fog lights for its entire life and they have passed every year without fail.

wombles

dotty said:
Its pretty simple to do, splice your fog light feed into the brake light feed and solder a diode into both wires before the point you have spliced together. from memory the diode is P600 6A.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the diode only blocks DC in one direction theres usually a symbol on it, or use a continuity tester it will work one way and not the other, what you are trying to acheive is stopping the outer brake light coming on with the fog light switch .

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Does anyone know there whereabouts of the diy guide that showed a wiring diagram of exactly which wires to connect up and where the diodes go in the circuit?

There are various links around the forum, but most of them are from the '.com' version of the forum and are now dead. A few of them work by replacing '.com' with '.club', but I can't find the one I want.

I don't want to lose the use of the inner brake lights for the sake of stinking fogs I'll very rarely use.

loud945

just to let you know, my teg failed its MOT with this setup (fog switched wired into brake light), I suspect luck of what inspector you get. he pretty much said to me that with the brakes on, and the fog switch then turned on there is no effect and failed it on that.

I ended up having to wire fog switch into the reverse cluster and use a weak as hell red led... ironically it now passes MOT, but the fog light is so weak it is next to useless in fog...

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I don't have one on mine, but I use friendly MOT stations.

Funnily enough I have a switch on the dash but I've no idea what it's wired to.