Using Ultimate Compound

Stylesa

Advanced Member
I had a bash at using ultimate compound last week. i only had a few hours so i didnt get the whole car done, not anywhere near in fact! I noticed some very good results, not perfect, but if i do it again i think the car will show up a lot lot better! i have a long weekend this weekend and am going to tackle the whole car.

My question is, how much pressure do you use? each person's perspective of applying pressure is different. i was using about 50% of my 'power' pushing down on the paint with one arm, as well as the circular/lateral motion to apply the compound. i am fearful of going through the lacquer as im not sure how thick it is...? Before the ultimate comppound can produce such good results in only one application, it must be pretty abrasive stuff!!!

NB, used Meguiars Wax after, how long does it take to cure? seemed like it was taking forever.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I really think by hand you would struggle to go through the laquer

With the wax products a common mistake is the quantity used , essentially you would use much less than most other brands ,

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
generally a one pound sized blob is enough to do half a bonnet on a dc5, it should have a thin coat only.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
generally a one pound sized blob is enough to do half a bonnet on a dc5, it should have a thin coat only.
Yeh i did read the guide before using it. probably about a 5p worth per quarter of the bonnet, so a similar ratio, even so it seemed to take ages.... still looked the same after 20 mins.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
As Si said really, you wont go through the laquer by hand but that does mean you need more than one pass if you are not using a machine.

Just a moderate amount of pressure is needed, nothing too extreme, that will remove all the swirls easy, then on your second pass, apply more pressure for deeper scratches.

If you can feel a scratch with your fingernail however, you will need to machine polish.

I use moderate pressure, about the same as you would to sandpaper a bit of wood.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I was meaning for the wax not the compound btw for the £1 sizes bit, for compound you will need a hit more

Stylesa

Advanced Member
I was meaning for the wax not the compound btw for the £1 sizes bit, for compound you will need a hit more
Yeh i got that. cheers. i was just curious. id rather do it properly cos it takes a lot of time. wouldnt want to give up a whole weekend and have done it incorrectly.

So NXT better than carnauba then?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Yeh i got that. cheers. i was just curious. id rather do it properly cos it takes a lot of time. wouldnt want to give up a whole weekend and have done it incorrectly.

So NXT better than carnauba then?
Both as good as each other, I have tested lots of Megs waxes, they all give the same results, just some last longer than others, I find Carnauba lasts longer than Synthetic wax, although NXT does seem to do a good job of filling some light scratches.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Long overdue evidence.

Before.... not pretty :-&:angry::oops:

After.....albeit from a slightly different angle.....

Much Much better.....but after about 4 hours work, i only managed the roof, bootlid (top surface only) front wings and along top edge of doors and rear wings... pretty much the whole bottom half of the car left and the front bumper and the whole rear of the car! Cant wait! :xyes:

Astonishing results for a product applied by hand!

.::Ant::.

Advanced Member
How long did you work on that are to get that result mate? I tried a go at my bonnet last week for about 20 mins but it seemed to do sweet FA :(

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
How long did you work on that are to get that result mate? I tried a go at my bonnet last week for about 20 mins but it seemed to do sweet FA :(
Didn't do ANYTHING for my carbon bonnet, works brill on paintwork though :xcheers:

If you can feel the scratches with your nail, you need to machine polish it.

brucey87

Advanced Member
Iv just picked up some Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish and Carnauba wax.

Im gonna polish it on thursday, then wax it on friday, then while at the show im gonna just quickly wash it just with fresh water to get the grit off then use some Meguiars quik wax to hopefully get the wax shine back. thats my method does it sound ok? i dont feel the need for ultimate compound with cw you cant really see swirl marks like you would on black or blue and paints in good condition anyway

sorry, didnt meen to hi-jack your thread stylesa but saved making a new detailing thread

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Took me 4 hours to do the roof, wings, bonnet, top surface of bootlid and top third of doors, this included a coat of wax and then a polish after though. Chances are that you aren't using enough pressure, ultimate compound is abrasive, its job is to rub down the lacquer to smooth out imperfections.

Didn't do ANYTHING for my carbon bonnet, works brill on paintwork though :xcheers:
I'll second that, devastsated when i noticed how little it had done, is there anything that works on carbon?

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Iv just picked up some Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish and Carnauba wax.

Im gonna polish it on thursday, then wax it on friday, then while at the show im gonna just quickly wash it just with fresh water to get the grit off then use some Meguiars quik wax to hopefully get the wax shine back. thats my method does it sound ok? i dont feel the need for ultimate compound with cw you cant really see swirl marks like you would on black or blue and paints in good condition anyway

sorry, didnt meen to hi-jack your thread stylesa but saved making a new detailing thread
Water doesnt remove anything but thick dirt. you wont get your car clean by using just water. CW is much better for hiding swirl marks you're, but id bet my bottom dollar they will show up under proper light. Quik detailer is good for bringing out temporary shine. If i were you, i'd spend my time focused on the wheels (thats if they are CW too?) at the show. CW wheels get dirty if you breathe too heavily near them. id be going down all the gears on the way to japfest, minimal brake use! CW wheels look really good when they are gleaming. only trouble is keeping them that way!

Wax then polish... wax takes out imperfections and seals the paiint, then the polish will bring out the shine.