Using Ultimate Compound

brucey87

Advanced Member
Yh my wheels are cw and wasnt too clean on the inner rim, i had them off on the weekend and scrubbed the hell out of them. They are looking better not bad for 10 year old wheels anyway.

Il change my method then lol im not a huge detailer just making an effort for the show. So wax before polish then? Wanna get it like a mirror for the show.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Clay - Polish - Wax, in that order.

To be fair, you will only need a quick detailer and lots of cloths, thats what I am taking... perhaps some water just in case! My Matt black wheels can really only be washed with clean water!

I did the Clay Polish and wax though once, made no difference to just waxing the thing! :lol:

ricco121

Clayed mine today... Never dun it before supprising how dirty the clay gets... Booked in tomoz for full mop and polish and then waxing it on Friday so jus Praying for some nice weather on Saturday to try and keep it as clean as possible during the journey up...

.::Ant::.

Advanced Member
Took some time last weekend to take a look over the Teg and see if this Ultimate Compound was actually of any use. I'm usually pretty sceptical of miracle waxes and compounds...

But...

Before:

After

(Apologies for crappy iPhone quality)

That's the boot lid below the arch of the spoiler the whole width of the boot lid. Had some awful swirl marks, looked like it had been cleaned with razor wire previously.

20 minutes of using the compound, and they'd pretty much vanished. Really impressed with this product, and I'm no clean-a-holic, I just try and keep it in as best nick as I can.

Advanced Member
That was 20 mins by hand alone mate and just for the boot lid as I wanted to give it a go in an inconspicuous area first. Started very lightly at first and worked it in as I went along.

Advanced Member
Just shows you how good that stuff is!

Make sure you seal it with a wax now 8)
Indeed mate, never had that good a result with any other product i've tried. Waxed the whole car with Meguair's Carnubary Waxy thing straight after. The stuff iin the maroon bottle lol

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Can you do this instead of clay barring?
Erm, Technically Clay and Ultimate Compound do 2 different things. Clay removes above surface defects (Tree Sap, Tar etc) and Ultimate Compound removes below surface defects (scratches and swirls). I found both good to remove overspray.

Clay your car once a year really. Compound as often as you like to get rid of fresh scratches etc.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
No danger of rubbing through the laqcuer if you do it too often?
Well, I wouldn't go silly with it :lol:

I imagine if you machine polished your car with it almost every week then you would be doing more harm than good. By hand it's far less abrasive.

The key is not to scratch it in the first place, once the scratches are removed though, it wont need doing again for a long time providing you use wash mitts etc.

Using sponges on paintwork makes me cringe :blink: thats a sure way to get scratches.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Well, I wouldn't go silly with it :lol:

I imagine if you machine polished your car with it almost every week then you would be doing more harm than good. By hand it's far less abrasive.

The key is not to scratch it in the first place, once the scratches are removed though, it wont need doing again for a long time providing you use wash mitts etc.

Using sponges on paintwork makes me cringe :blink: thats a sure way to get scratches.

Yeh, was just to clarify ian. wouldnt want everyone using on their paintwork every week.

Stores who sell cleaning products shouldnt even sell sponges! They cant make huge profit off them!

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Yeh, was just to clarify ian. wouldnt want everyone using on their paintwork every week.

Stores who sell cleaning products shouldnt even sell sponges! They cant make huge profit off them!
I still use a sponge for my wheels :lol: Paintwork no though.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
I still use a sponge for my wheels :lol: Paintwork no though.
i suppose. but i bet the sponges that they do sell are used on paintwork, and not on wheels!

There is a guy with an EP3 that stays close to me, its always clean, but in some lights, the swirl marks are dreadful, i have seen him using a sponge! fail!

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
i suppose. but i bet the sponges that they do sell are used on paintwork, and not on wheels!

There is a guy with an EP3 that stays close to me, its always clean, but in some lights, the swirl marks are dreadful, i have seen him using a sponge! fail!

:lol: