V-Power - help me back it up...

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
Right, i have an ongoing dispute with my father-in-law about the fact that i always used V-Power in my DC2 and will also use it pretty much exclusively in the DC5 when it arrives...

Only thing is, on a technical level I can't win the argument as I don't really know why these cars need to use it... would they really be slower with standard juice or is it more to do with the health of the engine?

I always used it simply because I wanted the best for my pride and joy, but what can I use as a solid, conversation ending reason why I use it?

(and no, "cuz its my car and i'll do what i want" won't win me any brownie points :p)

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
The DC5 is mapped for 96 RON iirc from the factory as that's what you get over in Japan. It will run like a dog on 95 RON.

I put in all sorts in my CTR and never had an issue or noticed a difference. I do in the DC5 though. V Power works best for me however BP ultimate is better for others.

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
so if its mapped for 96, would there be any performance difference between 96 and 99?

i.e. is there an advantage of going higher or just a disadvantage about going lower?

(p.s. just realised its the wrong forum, feel free to move to the fuel/oil one...)

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I'm not 100% sure if it is 96, might be higher. Higher octane should burn more efficiently and cleaner thus reducing emissions and increasing economy.

rick c

Advanced Member
Straight form Wikipedia:

The octane rating is a measure of the resistance of gasoline and other fuels to detonation (engine knocking) in spark-ignition internal combustion engines. High-performance engines typically have higher compression ratios and are therefore more prone to detonation, so they require higher octane fuel. A lower-performance engine will not generally perform better with high-octane fuel, since the compression ratio is fixed by the engine design.
The ECU's in modern cars can take advantage of the higher RON rating of premium fuels, and I'd imagine the DC5 is no different.

Didn't realise the DC5 was mapped on 96 RON from the factory, I thought it was 99 or 100 RON in Japan?

logik

Advanced Member
rick c said:
Straight form Wikipedia:

The octane rating is a measure of the resistance of gasoline and other fuels to detonation (engine knocking) in spark-ignition internal combustion engines. High-performance engines typically have higher compression ratios and are therefore more prone to detonation, so they require higher octane fuel. A lower-performance engine will not generally perform better with high-octane fuel, since the compression ratio is fixed by the engine design.
The ECU's in modern cars can take advantage of the higher RON rating of premium fuels, and I'd imagine the DC5 is no different.

Didn't realise the DC5 was mapped on 96 RON from the factory, I thought it was 99 or 100 RON in Japan?
[/quote]

Me too, i thought the DC5 was mapped 99/100 as in Japan thats the standard fuel?

garytc78

Advanced Member
I'm pretty sure it's actually 102ron in japan hence why even on 99ron a std dc5 will make around the 210bhp mark.

LA-DC5 ITR

Advanced Member
the octane content dictates detonation. If the fuel detnates too early it will push the piston ip too early which isn't good. The ivtec can manage the 95 ron as it adjusts the cams to allow the use of 95 ron, retardation.

It won't affect the k20 running less octane fuel bit it will blow a jap subaru to pieces unless it's mapped when imported. I run 95 and my engine is fine. I've been up against a fair few dc5s and mine is quick by comparison. It will NOT run like a dog.

You can find all the help you need to win the argument if u get friendly with google.

EDIT: as always I stand to be corrected. There are some good minds on here so maybe one of them knows more than me. Maybe. LOL

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
so based on that LA-DC5, i have no good argument for funning high octane :(

so higher octane detonates later... thats interesting, i would have thought it'd be the other way round?

rick c

Advanced Member
Running a DC5 on lower octane fuel will result in ultimately less bhp (I'd estimate up to 10bhp between 95 and 99RON) as well as it generally being a poor quality fuel to use.

Grangey

Advanced Member
all il say is i used 100 ron abroad and fuck me the civic flew, and absolutly enormous difference, ido notice a difference between 95 and 99 ron, i think it depends on your breathing mod. i view 99 ron like a breathing mod in the way that it works much better if you have other this. my civic had uprated fuel rail, greddy mani, decat and straight through exhaust, spoon ecu, and induction so naturally i think i noticed the difference more. i have always been told that jap cars are mapped at 99-100 ron although i maybe incorect on this but either way you car will be healthier and perform as the manufacturers intended on 99

Freddie

Advanced Member
Tesco's do a 99ron, but it got blitzed by V-power in tests.

I've had a variety of cars and i cant really say if 95's better than 99, I do know however that diesel wont work. :lol:

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Check the specs area on here and youll find the DC5 is set up for 100ron fuel in Japan...the nearest to that is V-Power at 99ron...HTH

Engine Type K20A
Cylinders/valves Watercooled IL-4
Fuel type Unleaded premium gasoline
Piston displacement (cc) 1998
Bore and Stroke (mm) 86.0 x 86.0
Compression ratio 11.5
Fuel system Honda PGM-F1
(Electronic Fuel Injection System)
Fuel pump Electromotive
Fuel Type 100 RON
Fuel Tank capacity (L) 50

mikegsi

Staff member
just tell him to keep his neb out :wink:

i used vpower exclusively in my teg and evo, and will continue to do so in the jdm ctr, our lass has a whinge as there's only one shell in my area at the other side of town too, she doesnt understand the difference and is happy to put asda smart price fuel in hers.....

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Never mind the power, try running a couple of tanks of normal unleaded and measure your MPG, then stick V-Power back in and see what happens - you'll do more miles and the V-Power will cost-in.

Ask my old man - a genuine tightass who has no interest in max power (he drives a Skoda Octavia 1.8 N/A!), but even he has done the tests and now uses V-Power or some other super if a Shell station isn't around. I found the same running my UK DC2 (which obviously would take 95RON).

Add to that the cleanliness that V-Power gives (remember the old Evo mag test of Optimax using an endoscope-type camera?) and you don't really need the power argument to justify using it!

Having said that, Jap fuel is higher RON and although the iVTEC unit might be able to handle it (unlike rotaries, Scoobies etc.), I'm sure it'll be happier on something closer to its original tipple. Also, if you have it mapped (KPro or whatever) on "super", I assume it won't be too happy on 95RON?

spike

Personally, I find my DC5 to be very particular to what fuel I use. I've had 2 DC2s which ran happily on whatever I gave it (always 95 ron being Im in Ireland)
But when I got the DC5 I found it ran bad on fuels from different filling stations. I find the petrol from Shell to be pretty bad. Stuff from Maxol (E5), Top and Texaco all seem to be fine though.

I dunno, maybe it's in my head, but ive never noticed a difference with any other car.