Valuation question

TEG_DC5_R

Advanced Member
I friend who is in the market for a DC5 has been offered a cat d 2002 CW Teg. 1 UK owner and around 70k miles.

It‘s currently had a shunt to the rear and not repaired.

Needs rear bumper and the boot floor is creased.

Rest of the car from what I‘ve been told is clean and tidy.

What would be a good price to pay in its current form? I know whithout photos it‘s hard to say but going off the above!

Thanks 👍

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I friend who is in the market for a DC5 has been offered a cat d 2002 CW Teg. 1 UK owner and around 70k miles.

It‘s currently had a shunt to the rear and not repaired.

Needs rear bumper and the boot floor is creased.

Rest of the car from what I‘ve been told is clean and tidy.

What would be a good price to pay in its current form? I know whithout photos it‘s hard to say but going off the above!

Thanks
Unfortunately it would be near impossible to say, the prices and market is all over the place for good non cat damaged ones but it would all depend on the extent of the damage the readiness of the parts needed and if he can get the work carried out at a good price to make it worthwhile.

Mileage I wouldn't factor into the price to be honest but if the rear floor is creased I would question it only needing a bumper as that's structural damage so I would be surprised if there isn't more issues to be found still.

Is his budget low and wants it as a project or would he consider a good one as is and not want the extra work as depending on cost of the work required he could end up spending not much less than a decent non cat registered car.

I am currently considering selling up for a number of reasons (none car related) if he could be interested

TEG_DC5_R

Advanced Member
He‘s not on a massive budget so doesn‘t mind one that requires a bit of work / damaged.

The rear bumper needs replacing and the boot will need pulling to straighten it as much as possible. He‘s not looking to track it or anything so as long as it‘s half decent and within his budget he‘s happy!

👍

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I have seen a few cheap DC5's needing nothing recently, depends on the budget but I would say get a quote on the work and paint and be certain it will not exceed the budget or most importantly cost more than an undamaged one imp.

Factor in he will benefit from replacing the rear light seals at the same time and a fresh under seal (after any work has been done to protect it), if no other damage 100% then if the price and work costs and rectifications are in budget then no reason not too.

TEG_DC5_R

Advanced Member
He‘s looking at buying it for around £5k or there abouts which compared to similar mileage cars is a few K under but obviously a damaged car.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
TEG_DC5_R said:
He‘s looking at buying it for around £5k or there abouts which compared to similar mileage cars is a few K under but obviously a damaged car.
Id be buying on condition over mileage anyday (especially damaged vs non accident car).

5k + repairs, paint etc will a lot imo (unless he is doing half the work or getting it done cheap but still at a high standard).

Update

There was a CW DC5 on facebook recently for sale (don't get me wrong it wasn't mint as advertised but was good and only £6500.00 ONO), bumpers could do with paint and the splitter etc but all in all a good car for the money with potential.

TEG_DC5_R

Advanced Member
He can get the work don‘t for a reasonable price through contacts etc so it‘ll probably end up costing around £6k in total.

Doesn‘t seem bad but he wanted a second opinion 👍

carl hammond

Advanced Member
No seems ok if he can get it done cheap and trust it to be a good job, if not it could have been a can of worms scenario where a garage will charge X and then the total just keeps going up and up and so on. But if it's all being done by people he trusts then deff worth it imo.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
6k for a write off is over what I'd be willing to spend. Resale would be nearer 5k after repair I'd think! Especially given it's the boot floor and the potential longer term issues with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Snowbeard

given that average ones go for as little as £6500 that haven't been in an accident, i would say that £5k for an accident damaged car is a bit rich, personally.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
I personally think budgeting 1k for repair is suicide if the boot is bent. Of course I could well be incorrect just my fit feel.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
If the boot floor is creased, it'll have to be cut out and rewelded. This type of work and this type of car won't be cheap. New bumpers are also expensive, it's just not economical to repair and won't have high resale value.

If it was me I'd would stay away unless you're not bothered and going to thrash it round a track.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
As above, no more than 3.5k was my thoughts as well. Be worth more in parts sadly. If it was just superficial damage, then wouldn‘t be too bad, but boot floor and bumper is going to Cost a fair bit to put right.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
I personally think budgeting 1k for repair is suicide if the boot is bent. Of course I could well be incorrect just my fit feel.
I agree
Rear bumper are hard to come by too

I wouldn‘t entertain £5k unless there‘s £5k of mods which can be stripped out straight away

TEG_DC5_R

Advanced Member
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think he has decided against it, unless the seller is willing to take around 4k for it.

👍