valve clearance advice needed

jonahdc5

Advanced Member
Hi guys,
Been looking back through my cars history cant see if its ever had the valve clearances done?? I realise these are suppose to be done at 25,000 mile intervals my car has done 62,000 miles it has probably been done somewhere along the lines. The thing is the engine is very quiet not tapperty at all and seems to drive fine so would you recommend still getting it done? Been quoted £70 by my local honda dealer to have it done which i thought was fairly reasonable except they said they will need it for 3-4 hrs to allow it to cool down, my response was shouldnt it be left with you over night so its stone cold and their reply was they plug fans in and direct cold air into the engine to get it cold enough apparently?? I can just see me getting it done and coming away with a tapperty engine lol

TypeRiter

Advanced Member
At least have them checked, if there's no record of them having been done - the worst case scenario, they'll need doing - the best case is that they don't need adjusting.

I need to do mine actually - pretty straight forward, if a bit fiddily - particularly the exhaust due to access.

Yeah, they should be done on a stone-cold engine preferably. I wouldn't do mine after 3-4 hours - 7-8 I would.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
STONE cold deffo.... I had a fun time getting mine done, haha... so, just to be sure, here are the settings/tolerances.

Intake: 0.21mm - 0.25mm
Exhaust: 0.25mm - 0.29mm

My engine was quiet until I had the clearances done, but then again they do tighten up with age apparently (go quieter) and a tappy engine is a happy engine! lol The K20A is quite a noisy beast apparently.

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Gonna get mind done after xmas i reckon just so i know its been done! plus shes getting a bit tappety

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Does anyone know why its an especially loud head?
Possibly due to the mechanical rocker assembly and all the extra moving parts.. Alot of common engines will use Hydralic Lifters.
theres probably loads of other things that determine how a engine sounds ie Ancilleries etc.

jonahdc5

Advanced Member
Got my mechanic on it just a case of booking it in and i will make sure its stone cold as he runs a mobile service so it will be left overnight and worked on the next morning RESULT!!!!