Valve Clearance Time

Marpol

Advanced Member
My car is just coming up to 24,000 miles am I right in thinking this is the interval for its first valve clearance check?

I was going to have a go at doing this myself but have never done it before, is it best to leave it to a competent garage?

Ive heard bad things about going to Honda for this as I understand it is supposed to be done on a stone cold engine (not even started to move) and Honda will quite happily let you drive in and wait! :shock:

Im going to give TDI a call as they are the closest specilised place I would trust but just wondering what kind of prices people normally pay?

Thanks

EDIT: Just realised this should have probably been in DC5 Technical :oops:

wj51fut

Advanced Member
My car is just coming up to 24,000 miles am I right in thinking this is the interval for its first valve clearance check?

I was going to have a go at doing this myself but have never done it before, is it best to leave it to a competent garage?

Ive heard bad things about going to Honda for this as I understand it is supposed to be done on a stone cold engine (not even started to move) and Honda will quite happily let you drive in and wait! :shock:

Im going to give TDI a call as they are the closest specilised place I would trust but just wondering what kind of prices people normally pay?

Thanks

EDIT: Just realised this should have probably been in DC5 Technical :oops:
Honda charge £100 to do it and they were rubbish! Going to do it myself when I get my new rocker cover. Porthos went to Spoon Sports down here in Devon and they asked him what the valve clearances were!! :shock: Shock horror! But I'm sure TDI north will do a top notch job and cheaper than Honda.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
It should only take an hour, but yes it needs to be stone cold to do it, it is not too difficult to do yourself but if you are not familure with this kind of job would recomend getting it done proffesionally.

Marpol

Advanced Member
Thanks for the help guys, think ill get it booked in at TDI for the first time. May have a go myself next time :wink:

Can anyone confirm that 24k is the interval for the clearances to be checked?

Stoo

Whining.....
At 24k it's only a check.
Adjustment is only carried out if required

Personally I'd have it done for FSH purposes. Honda obv put it in the service schedule for a reason.

Marpol

Advanced Member
At 24k it's only a check.
Adjustment is only carried out if required

Personally I'd have it done for FSH purposes. Honda obv put it in the service schedule for a reason.
I realise its only a check and adjustment if required, its more for piece of mind and the FSH :wink:

At 24,000 miles id keep you're wallet in ya pocket.
Is it not likely to need any adjustment at this mileage?
As above at least ill have a receipt for FSH to show its been done

May wait till i know how much TDI charge then make a decision!

Andywilkinson

Advanced Member
I've done my own before. Car only smoked and clattered for a few thousand miles then it was fine :lol:

But seriously, very very easy job to do and takes about half an hour.

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
If you like driving your car at high rpm and enjoy a car that feels spritely personally I'd deffo get it done. Perhaps even consider it an annual job.

All IMO of course, but from personal experience the car benefitted.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I had mine done at 26k miles, I actually made something like 5bhp from it... :lol:

Car runs so much smoother now as well. So well worth doing at 24k if you ask me! It's recommended for a reason.

Marpol

Advanced Member
I actually made something like 5bhp from it...
That means my standard DC5 could be up to 227bhp :xlol: not going there again!

Im seriously in two minds whether to have a go at this myself, ive got some angled feeler gauges and I know there‘s a guide on the RSX forum.

Is there really not that much to it? Any help/tips would be much appreciated :wink:

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Well I don't know if you know the correct settings to begin with, so you can find them in the RSX manual on the forum:
http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6545-rsx-workshop-manual/

Just remember its:
Inlet: 0.21 - 0.25mm
Exhaust: 0.25 - 0.29mm

I had mine done by a garage that didn't know what the right settings were, so I had to find out! (Thats where Si/TGM came in!) :xcheers:

Stoo

Whining.....
Set them as close as you can to the lower limit. That way if they do go out of tolerance over time, it'll take longer to Get to te upper limit.