Valve Clearances - Worth DIY'ing it?

ATC

With the car new to me, I thought it'd be worthwhile getting the valve clearances in tip-top condition.
Just wondering if it's even worth attempting to check/adjust valve clearances myself - in theory it looks fairly straightforward.

Now I'm not asking because I'm being tight and stingy, (it's only £100 at Honda, and £60 or so at TGM I believe), but more for practical reasons (and for the peace of mind that I could check and adjust at will whenever I felt the need). I'm not sure I trust Honda to do it with the engine stone cold - workshop time is gold to them, and I hear that even moving a car onto a ramp adds to much heat. The logical option is therefore to take it to either TGM or Area Motorsport, but they're a good 1-2hrs drive away - with cooling time I'd probably be looking at a full day there right? Seems like a long time for what should be a relatively simple job.

Now, that leaves me with two questions:
1) Am I wrong to doubt Honda technicians' competency? Perhaps there is a hot spec they use?
2) Am I mad to consider doing trying this myself?

While I'm no professional mechanic, I've tinkered a fair bit over the years, servicing my own cars, and helped pull the odd engine and gearbox before now. Generally I'd consider myself to be overly cautious and methodical in my approach. The thought of doing this myself isn't too daunting, except for the risk of adjusting the clearance incorrectly - is it as straight forward of go no going with the top and bottom spec feelers, or is there more too it that only an experienced hand would be able to pick up on?

Your thoughts are very much appreciated, especially those of you that have tackled this yourself.

ste01

Advanced Member
I don't think Honda would be that bad, and I'm sure it's less than £60 anyway.

Although lots of people here think DC5s are very special and wrap them in cotton wool, they aren't really that bad and not much different to a civic type R. I'm sure any decent Honda garage will do a good job 👍