Variable Valve Timing Control (VTC) System Malfunction

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
I hope someone can help....

I've just read the following error code from my check-engine light:

56 P0010 Variable Valve Timing Control (VTC) Oil Control Solenoid Valve Malfunction

56 P0011 Variable Valve Timing Control (VTC) System Malfunction

I'm not too sure what it actually means but it doesnt sound good :xcry:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I know from the other post you said you checked the oil.

The k20 oil level needs to be kept at the max all the time or non vtec moments can occur, also what oil are you using?

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
it was full in the morning and when I just checked now its half way on the dip stick?? :?

I'm using Silkolene Pro S 5W-40

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest theres not enough oil to make the vtec operate, try filling to the top mark ( personally i overfill by a couple of mm as do several britcar racers i know), The oil level in these cars is critical as they can use a bit while being driven hard, and can have nasty results if a bit low, my car spun a rod bearing just after i'd got it as i was hammering it with the oil level just above the minimum :evil: :evil:

Top it up and reset the ecu see what happens.
Warm car thru before checking the oil level .
Your oil type should be fine.
Let us know the outcome :wink:

User

Advanced Member
Good advice, I'd certainly be filling it to the brim and resetting the ECU before panicking.

martin200

Advanced Member
Hi

Just a thumb in the air, I have had a few B16A cars in the past, those sometimes suffered from a blocked VTEC Solnoid. There is a metal gauze which can sometimes get gunked up, maybe, just maybe, this is partially / fully blocked and causing unreliable VTEC Control.

With OBD0 / OBD1, the ECU would not necessarily know that VTEC was not firing, as all it does is fire a 12volt feed to the VTEC Solnoid. With our DC5's, I would assume the engine management would know exactly what is happening with the cam phasing.

HTH

Martin

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
martin200 said:
Hi

Just a thumb in the air, I have had a few B16A cars in the past, those sometimes suffered from a blocked VTEC Solnoid. There is a metal gauze which can sometimes get gunked up, maybe, just maybe, this is partially / fully blocked and causing unreliable VTEC Control.

With OBD0 / OBD1, the ECU would not necessarily know that VTEC was not firing, as all it does is fire a 12volt feed to the VTEC Solnoid. With our DC5's, I would assume the engine management would know exactly what is happening with the cam phasing.

HTH

Martin
Sounds possible mate...where do I find this gauze?

martin200

Advanced Member
On the K20? No idea. I will go have a look at my motor now as it is lunchtime, will be back at 1pm, shall advise then.

User

Advanced Member
There are two filters locations -

Firstly, a VTEC Strainer & Filter located on the far left of the cylinder head - facing you as you look at the engine bay.

Secondly, the VTEC solenoid valve and filter are on the same (left hand) side of the cylinder head but this time at the back of the head.

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
martin200 said:
On the K20? No idea. I will go have a look at my motor now as it is lunchtime, will be back at 1pm, shall advise then.
Greatly appreciated mate

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
User said:
There are two filters locations -

Firstly, a VTEC Strainer & Filter located on the far left of the cylinder head - facing you as you look at the engine bay.

Secondly, the VTEC solenoid valve and filter are on the same (left hand) side of the cylinder head but this time at the back of the head.
Ok, I'll have a poke around tonight...are they easy to remove?

martin200

Advanced Member
Think someone should take pictures of these and write a tutorial, this will become a more common problem as our cars get a bit stodgy :p

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
sorry to hear about this mate, hope you get it sorted,
was just wondering from what you said

BadBadtz said:
it was full in the morning and when I just checked now its half way on the dip stick?? :?

I'm using Silkolene Pro S 5W-40
did you first check the oil when the car had been standing & cold then later having been driven & warm? the cyl head will hold a fair bit once run??

good luck with the fix

User

Advanced Member
martin200 said:
Think someone should take pictures of these and write a tutorial, this will become a more common problem as our cars get a bit stodgy :p
Have you guys not got the RSX workshop manual?

You can download it in .pdf format. I'd email it to you but it's 40mb. :/

martin200

Advanced Member
Hi

No, I don't have the RSX manual, I thank you for showing me the light :D

Now, *rubs hands together* time to remove that gearbox :p