Variable Valve Timing Control (VTC) System Malfunction

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
I had a look last night and the solenoid is very easy to get to. I might try removing it to see if I can see any obvious damage.

I couldnt see any panels to remove to access this gauze??

I'm going to spend more time on it over the weekend and re-check the oil levels.

Cheers guys

martin200

Advanced Member
Nick,

Since you are in London, you may as well speak to Tom at TGM, I spoke to him yesterday and am planning on popping down this Saturday, from my phone conversation with him, I have no doubt that he could be your best friend in getting your car sorted :!:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
It is unlikely to be Gauze (who else has had this problem with a k20 and found it to be a blocked filter??)

Fill up with oil once the car is warm, and reset ecu. Go and drive the car. After returning from your spirited drive check error codes. i bet you won't find any,
The oil level issue has been talked about loads here and on rsx club .

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
Is it fixed???
I spoke with Tom and he suggested topping up the oil and resetting the ECU which I did. I then drove it for about 50miles on the weekend and all seems ok so far. Tom says its one of these things and not necesarily something to worry about.

I'll keep you updated if it occurs again.

Thanks everyone for your advice

chippyleigh

User said:
There are two filters locations -

Firstly, a VTEC Strainer & Filter located on the far left of the cylinder head - facing you as you look at the engine bay.

Secondly, the VTEC solenoid valve and filter are on the same (left hand) side of the cylinder head but this time at the back of the head.
Try to remove the one on the left hand side of the head first (it is easier to get to), there is just one bolt, you will need a long 10mm socket, it is fiddly and does leak some oil when you remove it so put rag between the timing chain cover and the inner wing, I found it easier to remove the top engine mount (17mm socket/spanner), also twist the solenoid when removing it as it doesn't pull straight out, make sure you put some engine oil on the rubber seal when re-installing. It is a bugger to re-install as you must line up the bolt hole (you can't see it though), and the bolt itself has a long shoulder on it which makes installation awkward.

I had my head skimmed recently on my EP3 and found small particles of debris in the gauze filter, just hook up an air line and blow it out.