very scarey

linzi94

Advanced Member
on saturday i shaved ten years of my life with one of the scariest things thats ever happened to me in my teg, the last time this manoeuvre happened i crashed my EG into £900 worth of damage.

when i finished work at 12.30 i drove out the car park, turning right at the lights on the dual carriageway - traffic at that time on that road is fairly heavy on a saturday.

upon turning right, the back of the car took on a mind of its own and the teg got thrown into a spin, instantly i started correcting it, my heart in my mouth thinking, what am i going to hit this time?!

it came round and started sliding the opposite way so i had to correct it again, thinking all these people at the lights are watching me missing the central reservation, the pavement and the bus stop....... i have no idea how i managed not to hit anything and i certainly wasnt going fast. i drive that road all the time. there is also a slight camber on the road in the middle of the lights, which i reckon if your turning right is the wrong angle.

i can only presume my stupid toyos are worthless, i have new pirellis on the front. mybe there was something on the road too, i dont know.

a few people have said i should always put new tyres on the rear even tho the teg has never had the best traction in the world no matter the weather.

ive only just about stopped shaking, when i blink all i can see is my hands wrestling the steering wheel round.

no danger am i taking it on knockhill!

Ezza

Advanced Member
Im using toyos here but not had any problems. Could it be that you turned right and blipped the accelerator a little which caused the front end to turn heavy if you get what i mean?

Suped

Advanced Member
Could be many factors Linzi, but props for gaining control back. Could even be a patch of oil that caused the rear out or even your hand brake siezed or something else.

Had a the same thing but turning left into dual. The back end just flips out like it was RWD out the blue. Only thing I could think of was gas it hard in 2nd and straightened out holding steering wheel tight and this only happened around 20-30mph. Very lucky nothing hit you. Main man upstairs was looking after you. :lol:

spo_gen

Advanced Member
Maybe you hit black ice. Been notoriously cold even in early afternoon.

Dont understand why peeps would mix tyres. Only should happen when you doing 1/4 miles events.

Glad nothing happened and dont let this dampen your spirits. xthumbup

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Glad you're ok and just take it as a learning curve. It will knock your confidence in the car but a session at Knockhill will restore that.

The better grip tyres should always be on the rear as this is what prevents the rear from stepping out and keeping the car in a straight line in the case of a front blowout.

kingston

Advanced Member
BadBadtz said:
Glad you're ok and just take it as a learning curve. It will knock your confidence in the car but a session at Knockhill will restore that.

The better grip tyres should always be on the rear as this is what prevents the rear from stepping out and keeping the car in a straight line in the case of a front blowout.
you sure as when you get new tyres, they advise you to put the new on the rears and put the old broken in ones on the front as they have more grip :wink:

ive had similar before, fishtailed it at >10mph - turned out to be a broken tyre valve (14psi in rear tyre) and ice

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Linzi, happens to the best, what toyos do you have? they should be fine on the rear, as far as knockhill is concerned get on with it, we did time attack there in the pouring rain on R888's they were fine. (ish :wink: )

if you always have had a problem with your rear end (never met you so can't really comment :p ) then you should consider getting the geo looked at, if you want a conservative fast road setup pm me and i'll send one.

linzi94

Advanced Member
theyre toyo T1S

ive just got 2 new P7000's to go on the rear - same as i have on the front.

i am interested in your "conservative fast road setup" if it helps my teg's twitchy tail :)

Hybrid-Theory

Advanced Member
My S2K used to snap out of line all the time around corners. I know its rear wheel drive but this would happen without any notice or fast driving.

Turns out that the geometry was all to pot in the arse end, a common problem in S2K's supposedly due to mounting kerbs / potholes etc.

In short, like said by c&s evo7, might be worth getting tracking / geometry cheched.