Very slight damp carpet (passenger side)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi not sure if this is common or easily fixed / diagnosed but not used my car in over a week and just in covered it. The passenger carpet isn't wet just either a little damp or really really cold to the extent it feels damp.

Is this common or anything someone's come across before wsvi can't work out how or why?

It's only where the jets are in this picture.

Thanks

Carl

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Gordydc5 said:
Have you been smoking something because all I can see are keys no JETS lol
Lol damn iPhone.... keys ;-)

Although potentially it's nothing as the other half said it feels cold not damp so I'll re check tomorrow

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
if it is damp, could check the windscreen sealer in the bottom corner, thats been known to split before....also the floor could have corroded. I know the second sounds unlikely, but worth a check. One owner on here, think it was Fez? Anyway, they had a damp patch in the footwell, pulled back the carpet and thr floor had a rust hole in it where underseal was missing from a long time ago. Definitely worth checking.

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
Found the same tonight in my car. Took forever to de-mist and felt under the floor mat and the carpet is damp on the passenger side.

Haven't driven the car lately so water isn't coming up through the floor, also had it up on ramps lately and there's no rust on the floors there. So that tells me coming from higher up.

I can't see any obvious signs of water running down into the car but it's dark and I'm only using the torch of my phone.

Only places I can think of coming from are under where my gruppe m scuttle is, as that isn't sitting flush and i'm thinking maybe some leaves have got in under there and blocking a drain hole or I've got a power cable for an amp running through the bulkhead and the water is running down and following the cable through the bulkhead and running into the carpet.

Gonna to get a hose spraying on it tomorrow and see if I can found out where it's coming from and see if I can fix it.

Jack

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Try the seal on the windscreen in the bottom corners, The seam splits in the corner where the wing meets bonnet,/meets windscreen area. Seen that a few times now. Could be that...

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
Cheers mate I'll check that. If it is spilt what's the best stuff to seal it back up?

I do need to get it serviced so I may get TDI to reseal it for me.

Jack

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
To do it properly its windscreen out job. Those that have encountered this usually just silicone over the cracks :)

kyle'87

Advanced Member
I have/ had this problem.

Turns out it is ME, when I Jet wash the car I like to get in the arches and clear away the grit. I found that when I was jetting the arch, I would accidentally spray the gap that is between the plastic arch and the body and this was forcing water into some hole (I'm yet to remove the arch to find it) and into the passenger foot well.

To remedy I have pulled the entire carpet out of the car to dry (I must have drained at least 1 litre of water from the carpet insulation). Then put it all back and have been careful with my jetting ever since. I check after every few washes to confirm, still dry :)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Was about to post back the same answer to this, how can I remove the carpet to dry as I have no where to put it to dry? It's only very slightly damp so was wondering how to dry it with it still fitted? Anyone?

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
Pulling back the carpet is very easy. You have pop off the trim on the side and the sills.

First pull off the sill trim it's only held on with a 3 or 4 clips. Then pull off the side trim where the flare would go, again only held on with 2 clips. Pop off the rubber door seal around the bottom of the door and you can pull back the carpet.

I used a hair dryer in the car pointed at the pulled back carpet and it dried it out really nicely.

Jack

carl hammond

Advanced Member
DC5Jack said:
Pulling back the carpet is very easy. You have pop off the trim on the side and the sills.

First pull off the sill trim it's only held on with a 3 or 4 clips. Then pull off the side trim where the flare would go, again only held on with 2 clips. Pop off the rubber door seal around the bottom of the door and you can pull back the carpet.

I used a hair dryer in the car pointed at the pulled back carpet and it dried it out really nicely.

Jack
Thanks Jack I'll do this later this week as no garage or outside power :-(

kyle'87

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Thanks Jack I'll do this later this week as no garage or outside power :-(
As stated above it is very easy to fold back the carpet, just be gentle with the clips, they need very little persuasion to remove. The trim next to the kick plate has clips holding it on but also little tabs at either end and they need to be folded out (best way I can described it) or you'll break them, like I did. About £35 for a new one from a breaker on eBay.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks for the info on how to lift the carpet guys, it seems there was no leak but infact the issue was me not drying out the sound deadening completely when I last stripped and washed the interior and carpet. The floor looks nice and clean and is now dry again, but I'll keep an eye on it as the sound deadening seemed to hold onto a fair amount of water.