Very smokey VTEC

phil roberts

I have a 50,000 mile Integra Type R which started to smoke badly.
Compression test was 22.6 on all four cylinders so Honda said it was probably the head gasket or valve stem oil seals.
£900 Honda said, so as I love(d) my Honda I had to have the job done by the best (Honda).
Job done but it still smokes the same.
So has anybody out there had a similar problem and if so what was the solution.
Honda have indicated that I can spend a lot more money but having not solved the problem first time, which I would have expected the engine experts to have done I am asking the honda Integra web site for help.

loanshark

I don't own a Honda...just lusting from a distance so far. But have mechanical and some Honda specific experience. Did help a mate 'reco' the engine in old Civic over a decade ago...was using oil. We got the head done totally, and skimped by only honing the bores and installing new rings....guess what?...it burnt oil again in no time. Everyone will tell you the 'lands' (ring grooves) on the piston wear resulting in failure to hold new rings in proper position...you really need rebore with new/oversize pistons....so there are NO shortcuts, generally speaking, if you want guaranteed results.

General principle for oil burning is if it smokes bad/worse on overrun, suspect valve guides/seals, otherwise rings. Headgasket can leak oil, but not common for most cars, and not to extent of causing real problems. Have heard of good compression rings, but poor/gummed up oil control rings.

I am not surprised, but a little disappointed, to learn these engines are such oil burners...high rpm is not kind to rings or valves. I was dreaming of getting a 3-4 YO model with your mileage, but am now starting to wonder. Anyone know how many rebores the block can take? ...How many times the head can be resurfaced etc..... Some modern motors seem to have little extra material for reconditioning.