Vibrating when accelerating and turning right.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
First of all, every CV joint has been taken apart, inspected and replaced if necessary.

It started out last year, slight vibrating under load. Changed all suspension components imaginable for brand new OEM. All tyres were fine and balanced correctly so i got the outer cv joint changed on the passenger side after a recommendation from TGM. Only a cheap aftermarket item but it cured the issue......for a week and then another started to show its head :(. This time under load and In a straight line. Lived with it until the summer as nobody could find a fault but it soon became so bad it was undriveable. It reared its head and turned out to be the inner drivers side cv joint. It was well and truly pitted and loose, so i sourced a good condition inner from a low mile EP3, and it cured it. :) Whilst that shaft was off the outer of the same side was split, checked and regreased with no issues since.

Now fast forward to 4 weeks ago, and i was changing over my suspension struts, put it back together and a few days later a vibrating under load but whilst turning right under acceleration occurred....i put it down to unbalanced alignment so a trip to see my cousin was arranged. Before the alignment we got it on the ramp, dropped the passenger side driveshaft and split the inner and outer ends. The inner was pristine, no wear to the roller bearings or pitting atall. New grease, new boot and back together, but we then established that the cheap after market joint had a bit of play in it. So we greased it up and aligned it properly as I didn't have an outer cv to hand. All was fine until a drive around Wales while on a short break away 2 weeks ago... Turning right the vibrating was getting worse upon acceleration, but nothing in a straight line. Enough was enough, a brand new OEM outer cv joint came up for sale on the forum at a brilliant price so I nabbed it. :) Got the part fitted today, and although better there is still a vibrating when turning right. :( ffs!!!

None of the wheels are abnormally hot in the centre or wobbly to indicate a worn bearing, and none of the suspension components are worn or loose. Im really getting frustrated with this bleeding issue, and running out of things to change. Lol. Its only when turning right, and accelerating between 15-50 mph on a fairly easy bend or just pulling off from around a roundabout.

Does anyone have any ideas? Im thinking gearbox engine mount worn? Ive got inserts put in front and rear along with a new front by TGM two to three years ago, so hopefully its not a warn mount that soon? But never touched the side mounts.

Many thanks
James

p1tse

Advanced Member
I read this and wished I had something to add, but nowt lol

Glad it's cured and fingers crossed

Chewy

Advanced Member
Haha, Bless you mate.

All of that and then BOOOOM it's fine.

Glad it's sorted :)

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Nope :( dont know what happed last night then. Its a mystery.

Fault still stands, I'm fed up. No knocks or bangs, nothing is loose and everything is new...wtf is happening!?!?!?! Grrr

Had so many people look at this and nobody can see anything obvious. Its deffinately different to when i turn left so i know its not just me either.

Could it be the gearbox mount? Under acceleration it wobbles about as it winds up? Im just plucking crap from the sky here in desperation. Lol

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Lol im picking up a second car tomorrow night, taking this off the road. Just pees me off driving it now which isn't good. It feels tight as a drum, then im extatic that it's sorted after a bkast and remember why I haven't given up on it, then boom...it comes to bite me on the ass.

Whilst the crap weather sets in I shall be ordering a brand new inner cv joint for the passenger side, as thats the only one thats not been changed. Although it looked spot when i took it apart two weeks ago i shall replace with a cheap one, see if the fault goes and order a new OEM from honda. (The quality difference between the two is apparent when side by side). Off throttle is fine its just under load, however sensitive and it was exactly the same when the drivers side started to fail so maybe its on its way out.

I shall also order a gearbox mount insert first just to see if that makes any difference but I doubt it. Can't enjoy driving it atm so I won't until im happy things are sorted. Luckily for me i can get this stuff done for the price of a few cold beverages. Otherwise I wouldn't be doing it. Lol

Just want to enjoy driving it again, getting in and not thinking "is it going to vibrate this time?? " or driving down the toad like im drunk trying to get it to do it under different circumstances. Haha

I will get it good, and it will be going round a track, but my list of ocd things is pretty big and it seems to keep getting me kne step forward, two back :(

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Yup, all fine. Got two sets of wheels and swapped them over too to remove the chance of it being a wheel weight ....no change. Both sets balanced perfectly. Both sets of tyres have plenty of tread.

dotty

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Lol im picking up a second car tomorrow night, taking this off the road. Just pees me off driving it now which isn't good. It feels tight as a drum, then im extatic that it's sorted after a bkast and remember why I haven't given up on it, then boom...it comes to bite me on the ass.

Whilst the crap weather sets in I shall be ordering a brand new inner cv joint for the passenger side, as thats the only one thats not been changed. Although it looked spot when i took it apart two weeks ago i shall replace with a cheap one, see if the fault goes and order a new OEM from honda. (The quality difference between the two is apparent when side by side). Off throttle is fine its just under load, however sensitive and it was exactly the same when the drivers side started to fail so maybe its on its way out.

I shall also order a gearbox mount insert first just to see if that makes any difference but I doubt it. Can't enjoy driving it atm so I won't until im happy things are sorted. Luckily for me i can get this stuff done for the price of a few cold beverages. Otherwise I wouldn't be doing it. Lol

Just want to enjoy driving it again, getting in and not thinking "is it going to vibrate this time?? " or driving down the toad like im drunk trying to get it to do it under different circumstances. Haha

I will get it good, and it will be going round a track, but my list of ocd things is pretty big and it seems to keep getting me kne step forward, two back :(
Drop it off with Tom. He will find it I'm sure.

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
Not sure if you have already checked these but have you checked your engine mount down by your power steering reservoir? All the rubber had popped out its housing in mine a few months ago and the vibrating/rattling was unreal. Quite common I believe due to how much the k20 moves around.

Secondly, bushes?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Midge-1989 said:
Not sure if you have already checked these but have you checked your engine mount down by your power steering pump? All the rubber had popped out its housing in mine a few months ago and the vibrating/rattling was unreal. Quite common I believe due to how much the k20 moves around.

Secondly, bushes?
Bushes have been changed, haven't changed the two side engine mounts. I was thinking of getting a full set now this isn't the daily anymore, but now this has happened im unsure as to what think....do i change them and hope for the best, or do i go inner cv joint/ driveshaft and hope for the best. Knowing my luck this year it's probably both. Haha

The vibrating is coming from the front left for deffinate, so would a worn front right mount cause this? Its not leaking or split. Unsure on the condition of the gearbox but tbf neither have ever been replaced. Hmmm.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
dotty said:
Drop it off with Tom. He will find it I'm sure.
Yeah true, time to do it though. Have nothing this side of xmas as my weekends are busy. But its getting that way. Lol

Midge-1989

Advanced Member
Not sure re: engine mount on right causing vibrations on the left. When mine went the vibrations were everywhere...dashboard, right through the steering wheel. Even the rear wing was flexing! If it's your mount by your power steering reservoir it would be fairly noticeable! :)

Not being funny but have you checked if your front left (or any) brake pad(s) is/are sticking? Especially as you said if only at low speeds then it goes away.

Sorry to hear all the troubles and still undiagnosed...nothing worse than throwing money at it

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Nope, lol. all brakes were changed last month, discs and pads, new fluid, lines a few months previous, the pistons pushed back in lovely, brakes are good. :)

No noise whatsoever, zero clunks knocks or bangs, no rattle in the spoiler or seats, just through the wheel and accelerator pedal. It only does it when touching the throttle to accelerate, or mid corner and you accelerate hard you really notice it. Varys with pressure which is exactly how it felt when the drivers side inner cv started to fail earlier on this year. Just driving back from the gym through some hilly roads and it seems to now start doing the same thing going straight but uphill too....again now making me think inner cv on the other side.

I do appreciate all your suggestions guys. I think ill buy a cheap inner cv for a civic from euro car oarts, get it fitted and report back.

This happened last time, all fine one minute, then a couple occasional drives it did it for three weeks, then every single drive without fail. Lol and after it now progressively working its way yo doing it in a straight line im certain its now that. Just sods law it's done it a month after having it in peices to inspect. Lol

moodyedge

Advanced Member
Buy an fd2, that will cure it.

Joking aside........

Cv joints would come to mind with the issue appearing when turning. Engine/trans mounts?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Jdm4life said:
Buy an fd2, that will cure it.

Joking aside........

Cv joints would come to mind with the issue appearing when turning. Engine/trans mounts?
Naa don't want one of those thanks. Thinking gearbox mount first, then inner cv. Will do them in that order as ones cheaper than the other. Lol