vibrating when drive in wet or raining day.

yks228

hi everyone!
just got my DC5 last 2 weeks...
the problem is, vibrating sometime when driving in wet road or raining day. the feel of the vibreation and noise like something hitting under when i accelerat my car... i really had no idea. becouse it just happen when the road with water. anyone facing the same problem like me?

JT3173

Advanced Member
Dont worry about it mate, I had the same, I think most of us do.

It is your exhaust heat shield, with it being so hot, with water getting on top of it, it boils and pings on the underside of the car.

Hope that helps :D

raz786

Advanced Member
yep happens in the extreme wet, I've read its worse with after market exhaust such as Buddy Club, which is what I have, it is quite worrying when it happens, car feels under strain

ITR_Fun

I had what I think is the same thing - in heavy rain on my way to work this morning - I thought the car was going to explode! The noise and vibration seemed to stop when I took it out of gear - I coasted all the way to the garage and waited for the rain to stop. It was then fine. I thought the gearbox or clutch had gone! Does this cause any damage at all as it was a serious amount of vibration and quite a lot of noise, I was quite scared!!!???

raz786

Advanced Member
:lol: :lol: Brings back memories of when it first happened to me! lol, i think its quite harmless, but agree the noise is VERY scary!!

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I had this for the first time the other day in 5 years of EP3/DC5 ownership. I didn't have a clue what it was, thought something had fallen off the car or that I had a blow out.

Didn't pull over though, quick "tyre warming" swerving confirmed no blow outs and it redlined without blowing up so I presumed it was just the water issue! :lol:

j30l

Advanced Member
I had the same problem. Absolutely crapped my pants, thought something had broken. I found out it was the heat shield so took them off and replced them with this

daz_martin

Thank god someone has posted this, I had a custom exhaust fitted a short while back and whenever I go through heavy rain, i.e enough to soak the underneath of the car I get a horrible vibration from under the gearbox/ drive tunnel thingy. Though my gearbox was on it's way out, then rialised it was the exhaust, tried moving the exhaust but it wouldn't budge, about to take it back to the exhaust place to comaplain but didn't know how to explain that it only makes a noise when wet :oops:

Feel better now guys cheers :lol:

JT3173

Advanced Member
raz786 said:
yep happens in the extreme wet, I've read its worse with after market exhaust such as Buddy Club, which is what I have, it is quite worrying when it happens, car feels under strain
Does not happen with my Buddy Club Pro Spec, you must still have your heat shields on so it would not be the exhaust IMO :wink:

raz786

Advanced Member
Yep still have the heat shields, I have read on the forum that the BC products are known for it due to the design or something...but i may be wrong :lol: :lol:

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
My Buddyclub Pro Spec does this. Again only when I go through big puddles and then it stops after about a minute once the water has burned off.

Agree with everyone here though, my face dropped when it first happened to me. Been too scared to mention it on here in case it was something I really didn't want to know about :p

Matt.

griffy

Advanced Member
lol yep, I've had it, I was knecking it about in devon and hit some bad rain and thought the exhaust had dropped of or that I'd taken in water or something :lol: its mad! :shock:

I only had the prob with stainless DC sports, never with Ti amuse pipe

AdrianK

Advanced Member
i had it with buddyclub pro spec too, but not with spoon, i think it depends how close the exhaust is to the car bottom

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Made me giggle when I read this post lol

I had this recently on M6 in very bad rain, it happened just as I hydro'd across lots of water across the m-way and I thought I'd hydro locked the engine :shock:

Fucking cacked myself!

LOL

raz786

Advanced Member
This post makes me laugh, it was started back in august and keeps getting little add ons even now! Glad I wasn't the only one who crapped myself first time!! :lol: :lol:

vampyriaerotica

Advanced Member
Crap....heatshield!?

This happened to me the day I bought my DC5 driving back on the M6 when it poured like it never did before!

Pheeew, that was scary....really very scary! The whole back of the car shakes louder and harder than the twin 12" subs! :eek:

broomhead50

This has happened to me a few times in the wet. I have a Apexi N1 and it sounds likes its going to drop off when going through extreme wet patches. I only came across this post whilst searching for something else -glad i read it though.

:xcheers: