Vista

clearout

Hey people,

As a person running an IT business I am about to start testing the new Vista OS to make sure I can recommend to clients whether they should move or stay with XP etc etc. Just thought I'd ask if anyone wanted anything specific tested / checked before they pick up Vista.

I may as well try and give some knowledge to those who I have taken so much from :)

andyd

Advanced Member
Personally, i really wouldn't use this for business use at the mo. Not till that have fixed a number of issuses with it.

There are just still far to many problems with it, drives not working etc....

If your going to be using wirless, its a bit hit and miss. Again there is lack of support for drivers.

I have a MS technet subscribtion and also am a VLA subscriber, so i've been testing it for quite a while though.

In my honest option its not as good as XP at the mo, it just looks really nice.

Office 2007 on the hand 8) Top thumbs up for that. Very impressive and designed very well.

Andy

clearout

That is my thoughts at the moment also. I cannot imagine recommending it over XP for businesses. The training on it's on is too much for most

Office looks lovely. I can't imagine how they can improve on office much more from this point

Your technet subscription did you see the new download only version they have. Bought time too!

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
Im in charge of Vista deployment in my work.

Been researching it for a while and only recently looked in-depth into the final release version.

Driver issues are very much evident especially with recent motherboards - with some older laptops still having problems.

Software wise, so far we have had issues with NAV Corporate Edition, Power DVD and also Microsoft firewall client. Some fixes about but its a bit hit and miss at the moment.

Also intend once i have finalised images for Vista to run some training sessions as its quite a big difference from XP and i know users will struggle otherwise.

clearout

The support will be lacking for a while especially given that we are over a month away from consumer release.

All good information though chaps, helps to strengthen recommendations

clearout

Jimmy have you looked at the BDD 2007 from microsoft. Some very nice updates to cover deployment of Vista

andyd

Advanced Member
clearout said:
Your technet subscription did you see the new download only version they have. Bought time too!
Yes i have the RTM verson of vista, plus all its varables.

Andy

andyd

Advanced Member
jimmy_atr said:
Im in charge of Vista deployment in my work.

Been researching it for a while and only recently looked in-depth into the final release version.

Driver issues are very much evident especially with recent motherboards - with some older laptops still having problems.

Software wise, so far we have had issues with NAV Corporate Edition, Power DVD and also Microsoft firewall client. Some fixes about but its a bit hit and miss at the moment.

Also intend once i have finalised images for Vista to run some training sessions as its quite a big difference from XP and i know users will struggle otherwise.
Nero is not too hot with it ether.

But yea as you said, most of our laptops here won't work with Vista.

Vista is a bit different from XP, as they have moved a lot of the menus about here then and every where.

From the falt find side though Vista is very good! 8)

Andy

carfiend

Advanced Member
I might be an old cynic but if anyone at work comes near my laptop with a copy of vista I will beat them back with a shitty stick.

I don't need flashy graphics to do development and other UI tweaks I just want the thing to be stable and handle the hardware correctly... so since they won't let me use *Nix or a Mac I am still on Win 2k since I am an old stick in the mud :p

I am a programmer so I am more than happy with a nice command line so I expect I am missing something when it comes to all this UI and userability tools nonsence :wink:

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
clearout said:
Jimmy have you looked at the BDD 2007 from microsoft. Some very nice updates to cover deployment of Vista
I have yes - throughout all the Beta versions of Vista i have been looking at deployment through SMS so been reading up on loads of stuff. Saw the BDD 2007 recently and seems to fit in with Vista nicely.

Running through various Zero Touch Installations at the moment using 2000 to XP but now the final release of Vista is here ill be looking to test that.

SMS OSD is very useful though so want to nail that down for when Vista is deployed.

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
andyd said:
From the falt find side though Vista is very good! 8)

Andy
Yeah fair play when it recognises any dll's or drivers are incompatible it does usually find the latest patch and fix for Vista. Problem we were having was that the patches dont seem to do what they say they will but ive put that down to teething problems.

Still early days though so hopefully once it is fully released and deployed these issues will have up-to-date fixes to minimise disurption. But that would be senisble now wouldnt it :wink:

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Fedora's a version of RedHat Linux.

BTW if any of you guys are running Vista and are having issues, let me know. I work for Bill Gates so can get things sorted.

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
crxvtec said:
Fedora's a version of RedHat Linux.

BTW if any of you guys are running Vista and are having issues, let me know. I work for Bill Gates so can get things sorted.
Is it supporting Geforce4 Ti4600's yet? It wasnt when I had the Beta version...