volk ce28nf 18*8 will they fit?

markk

Hi, everyone.
Am about to buy new dc5 and fancy the above wheels.
Will they fit?
Is the pcd 114.3?
Which offset +33 or +38?
Thanks in advance.

Tarmac

Advanced Member
i've no idea, but just posting to compliment u on u'r choice - they are delicious rims - especially in the gold finish on a white motor. 8)

Evs

Advanced Member
Stud pattern is 5 x 114.3

OEM rims are 7Jx17 ET60. If you put 8Js on with 33 offset then you're moving the face of the rim out about 50mm on each side, which is a lot. IIRC the Mugen MF10s to fit a DC5 are 8Jx17 ET55 so I would try to aim for that if I were you.

Personally I don't like 18s on a DC5 but, hey, it's your car.

Zero7

Advanced Member
Tarmac said:
i've no idea, but just posting to compliment u on u'r choice - they are delicious rims - especially in the gold finish on a white motor. 8)
Any pics, I'm in the hunt for some wheels.

Tarmac

Advanced Member
do a google image search for them. that's what i did and one of the results was a legacy wagon in white with those rims in gold - very tasty!

Evs

Advanced Member
I'd suggest a larger offset than that - at least 45, ideally 50-55 if you can get them. 38 is too low imho.

Jor-El

Advanced Member
Evs, you've got it backwards. The smaller the number, the further away it is from the inside of the fender wall, and closer to the exterior of the fender. The car's rims come with an offset of +55. Getting an offset of +45 will carry the rim to the outside of the fender by 10mm. and so on. An offset of +38 will be just outside of the fender I believe. With an 18 x 8 he will have to go with an offset of either +38 or +35.

The Wheel man

If you fit an 8" wheel with a 38+ offset the wheel will sit 34mm further out either side of the car. This is based on the OE wheel being 7" and ET60. :? If you put the same wheel with a 50+ offset the wheel will sit 22mm further than standard. As i dont have a DC5 yet :( i cannot say if you have the room. I would suggest you stick with 7" or 7.5" width to be sure.

The Wheel man

If you fit an 8" wheel with a 38+ offset the wheel will sit 34mm further out either side of the car. This is based on the OE wheel being 7" and ET60. :? If you put the same wheel with a 50+ offset the wheel will sit 22mm further than standard. As i dont have a DC5 yet :( i cannot say if you have the room. I would suggest you stick with 7" or 7.5" width to be sure.

Evs

Advanced Member
Jor-El said:
Evs, you've got it backwards
No I haven't. I think we're saying the same thing using slightly different words - don't these two statements mean the same thing to you:
Jor-El said:
The car's rims come with an offset of +55. Getting an offset of +45 will carry the rim to the outside
Evs said:
If you put 8Js on with 33 offset then you're moving the face of the rim out
But I didn't get this bit:
Jor-El said:
An offset of +38 will be just outside of the fender I believe. With an 18 x 8 he will have to go with an offset of either +38 or +35.
So you're saying that 38 will stick out too far, and then suggesting he uses 38 or 35, when 35 will put the face of the wheel another 3mm further out from the centre of the car? Now who's got it the wrong way round?

Evs

Advanced Member
The Wheel man said:
If you fit an 8" wheel with a 38+ offset the wheel will sit 34mm further out either side of the car. This is based on the OE wheel being 7" and ET60. :?
You're right - I got my sums a bit wrong with 50mm :oops: It's half the difference in width (12.5mm) plus the difference in offset (22mm in the case of ET38)

I've had 7.5Jx17 ET45 on mine and changed them for 7.5Jx17 ET50 which made the car feel much better. It's not short of grip in the first place so why go for wider rims with a really low offset? You might be able to pull more ultimate g but it'll just tramline like hell and put more stress on the driveshafts and hubs etc.

The Wheel man

If ever unsure if a set of wheels will fit all you need is a pen, ruler and some paper!
1, Draw a line 1" longer that the width of the wheel you want.
2, Mark the middle of the line.
3, If the off set was 40+ measure 40mm from the middle line accross to the right and mark it
4, Draw a vertical line through the 40mm mark.

The vertical line now represents the mounting face of the wheel with the spokes at the right of that line

To see how a different wheel will sit, repeat the process but start with the offset and work backwards!

Sorry if it doesnt make much sense :? but it may help in the future!!

markk

I have re thought this through after your advice and looked at the sizes available and have decided to go for 18*7.5 giving me a choice of offsets
+25 ,+33 ,+43 ,+50.
Going on what evs has said regarding his 17*7.5 +50 offset,
+50 seems the right size.
can anyone say this will definately be correct
Sorry to keep asking but I really dont want to make an expensive f**k up.Thanks again.

Evs

Advanced Member
Well provided you're going for tyres that make the overall size of the wheel/tyre assembly the same as it is with the OEM 215/45/17s, and aren't slamming the car to the floor, I would bet good money that 8Jx18 ET50 will be absolutely fine. This is on the basis that:

1. It would be reasonable to expect that the Mugen 8Jx17 ET55s fit OK, as they are Mugen and designated as a DC5 fitment, and

2. I'm pretty sure I read on here that someone had 18s (don't know how wide) with a 42 offset and they were OK too.

1. means that they won't rub on the inside, and 2. means they won't rub on the outside.

If that logic makes sense to you then you're probably OK to go for it. HTH?

Evs

Advanced Member
D'oh just read that you're now thinking of 7.5Jx18 ET50 which makes it even easier - my 7.5Jx17 ET50s are fine so provided you get the right tyres then I can say with some certainty that you will be fine.

[edit]

The Wheel man

The overall diameter of the 215/45/17 is 625, with the 215/40/18 measuring 629........basicaly spot on! :) I know how you feel, i work for an alloy wheel company and have loads of people call up unsure of what will and wont fit :xconfused:

NZITR

Advanced Member
A lot of Japanese wheel makers seem to specify a 17x7.5 48p rim for the DC5R.

RAYS specify that size in a TE37 and recommend the 50p CE28N. Prodrive, Enkei, 5 Zigen also make wheels that size for DC5R.

Mugen specify a 17x8 55p with 225/45 for road cars and a 45p version for race cars.

Myself I have the 17x7.5 43p version of the CE28N and I'd say it's as extreme as you would want to go for a road going DC5R. The rears just clear the guards, but this is mostly due to the camber effect. These wheels came along at a very good price and were in perfect condition but I was quite concerned about the offset. Reading a lot of people running 17x7.5 45p on this site led me to believe that 2mm extra should be possible. While I know it's a perfect setup it still feels pretty usable and streetable.. much better since the Tanabe went in. Tanabe > KG/MM