volk ce28nf 18*8 will they fit?

Evs

Advanced Member
Well they'll probably use Mitsi Evo 7 wheels which are something like 8Jx17 ET38 IIRC. All I'm trying to say is that even if they do fit then the car will tramline a lot, and the resulting handling characteristics wouldn't be what I'd want from a road car. But then if 8.5Jx18s are your bag then you're probably looking for different things anyway.

As to the touring cars, do these arches look standard to you:

Gary

Advanced Member
Hi Evs I'm aware that touring cars have modded arches but I have repeatedly questioned SystemR on this cos they are importing a set of wheels for me and I had the opportunity to change the offset from the standard 40 and they assured me I wouldn't have to bother so I hope there won't be a problem or I'll be a wee bit miffed :evil:

Evs

Advanced Member
Fair enough... :? . Well I've seen Evo 7 wheels fitted to a DC5 that was being used on track and they looked a bit odd because of the offset.
All I'm trying to say is that imho that offset (not to mention the size of wheel) will ruin the handling feel.

Just to give you an illustration, I've previously had 7.5x17 ET45 on mine which did fit perfectly, but have since swapped them for 7.5x17 ET50 and the car feels much better, so I now wouldn't even put 45s on out of deliberate choice. But everyone will tell you, quite correctly, that 45s fit perfectly.

All I'll say is I hope your wheels do fit and that you're happy with the results you get. :)

Gary

Advanced Member
Ok bro and don't think I don't appreciate your input cos it's exactly the opposite, in fact I must give Mark@ SystemR a wee buzz today to see why he thinks that it won't affect the handling characteristics of the car cos this is why I repeadtedly questioned them on this cos to be honest your not the first person to suggest this, cheers!

Evs

Advanced Member
No probs mate, this is a subjective thing and different people will think different things are OK. What conclusion did you come to in the end?

NZITR

Advanced Member
NZITR said:
A lot of Japanese wheel makers seem to specify a 17x7.5 48p rim for the DC5R.

RAYS specify that size in a TE37 and recommend the 50p CE28N. Prodrive, Enkei, 5 Zigen also make wheels that size for DC5R.

Mugen specify a 17x8 55p with 225/45 for road cars and a 45p version for race cars.

Myself I have the 17x7.5 43p version of the CE28N and I'd say it's as extreme as you would want to go for a road going DC5R. The rears just clear the guards, but this is mostly due to the camber effect. These wheels came along at a very good price and were in perfect condition but I was quite concerned about the offset. Reading a lot of people running 17x7.5 45p on this site led me to believe that 2mm extra should be possible. While I know it's a perfect setup it still feels pretty usable and streetable.. much better since the Tanabe went in. Tanabe > KG/MM
Sorry I meant to say it's not a perfect setup, but I still maintain it's not bad.

Gary

Advanced Member
Evs said:
No probs mate, this is a subjective thing and different people will think different things are OK. What conclusion did you come to in the end?
Yeah Evs I've spoken to SystemR and Tom since and they did echo some of what you said about the cars tendency to tramline if you spread the wheelbase too far but it will only become a problem if you had race suspension and soft compound tyres so I suppoose that the only way I'm gonna know for sure is when I drive it for the first time with the wheels on and if you're proved right then I could always mill a few MM off the inside hub face to increase the offset as a last resort!

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
was just reading through this post and read this at the end....

Gary said:
Evs said:
......I could always mill a few MM off the inside hub face to increase the offset as a last resort!
have to say I'm with Evs on the whole offset thing. if you can, stick as close to honda's factory offset as poss, as from my experience with my crx VT, it reacted very badly to a change in offset of the wheels, still drivable mind, but just didn't drive as well as it could before on standard offset wheels. in fact i went from the standard -50 to -35 so quite drastic, but as someone mentioned above i got a good offer on some Pro Race 1 rims at 4.9kgs a corner so couldn't resist!!! its all about getting the unsprung weight down!

as to milling the face of the wheel i thought about that when i had mine but also thought probably worth contacting the manufacturer about it first as chances are the stress tolerances of the wheel will be affected.

hope this is of use.

Evs

Advanced Member
Ed, Agree what you've said but you misquoted me there - I didn't write that stuff about machining the rims, I think that's risky and wouldn't do it myself. I'm for reducing weight but keeping as close to the standard offset as possible.

neolee40

Advanced Member
Evs said:
Ed, Agree what you've said but you misquoted me there - I didn't write that stuff about machining the rims, I think that's risky and wouldn't do it myself. I'm for reducing weight but keeping as close to the standard offset as possible.
just a quick off topic but have you done a 1/4 mile yet if how what time did you get Evs?

Evs

Advanced Member
neolee40 said:
just a quick off topic but have you done a 1/4 mile yet if how what time did you get Evs?
No mate I haven't - I'm not really interested in that game tbh :xhuh:
:xsot: :lol: