Vtec dull

impne

Advanced Member
I've only really driven the car a few times due to some issues I've had and not really taken advantage of the vtec

The car as picked up had a 5zigen cat back only, when using vtec it was ok and picked up but didn't kick like the Crx sir I've just sold and even my other half fn2 type r seems quicker

Anyway I fitted my tegiwa induction, now this was very loud on vtec but it seemed to me to be pulling air and maybe not enough fuel so vtec seemed worse that having std filter with mugen insert that it had. I've now put std filter back on

I know really I need this kpro'd and mapped but this is a job I'm going to do next year. Is this maybe the issue that the car needs mapping or maybe vtec filter changing, this is something I've not looked at yet.

My old DC5 from 2007 was std apart from a vtec controller when I imported it, unfortunately the controller was stolen at Newcastle docks before Andy picked the car up so it was completely std when I picked it up. I then fitted a I think skunk cat back and gruppe m. With only these mods that car flew without any mapping?

This is making me think why this car doesn't seem quick and is struggling a bit.

Miles on this new car are 48000 on 2001
Old car was 12500 miles on 2001 back in 2007

Any ideas

impne

Advanced Member
Forgot to mention I was going to fit a skunk manifold at the weekend, do you think I'm best off just waiting until I get it mapped?

The car isn't going to be used over the winter so not a great desire I suppose to fit it right now

spooke

Advanced Member
Before anything else I'd give it a full service, if you think the VTEC solenoid is slightly blocked then have a look - although I'd think this would cause issues with it engaging. Get all the maintenance out the way before anything else, also coming from a lightweight CRX the DC5 is bound to feel slower.

Does it feel like its struggling or is it actually struggling to get up to speed?

impne

Advanced Member
The car is quick
It just doesn't seem to be that greater change going into vtec to what I remember with my last one
Plus when fitting the tegiwa it seem to bog down with that on

spooke

Advanced Member
impne said:
The car is quick
It just doesn't seem to be that greater change going into vtec to what I remember with my last one
Plus when fitting the tegiwa it seem to bog down with that on
What Fez said, the K20A crossover is very smooth and almost unoticable in sound with the stock intake so it kinda mutes the feeling, especially vs a B series. 2007 was a long time ago also so unless you have really good memory I don't think you can really compare it to your old car :D

I feel the same when I'm passenger in my brothers EP3, his VTEC kicks much harder but that is because the map is designed to make it feel faster.

impne

Advanced Member
The last dc5 I had definitely gave a kick but I wonder if it had been messed with Ecu? In Japan that's why it had a controller on it?

No idea anyway I'll change the filter on it and think a full service as I think torque just changed the oil so another change won't do any hard

On a side note the tegiwa is very loud compared to gruppe m, is this the norm with this induction

p1tse

Advanced Member
Isn't the tegiwa intake just a copy if the gruppe m, so noise I imagine will be similar

Doesn't sound right though if vtec feels dull. Does it actually kick in?

impne

Advanced Member
Yes kicks in but hardly any real pick up greater than lower end acceleration

The car is quick but just real engine note change or real difference from std to vtec

I've ordered full service kit incl vtec filter so will see how that goes at the weekend

civic17_99

Advanced Member
The vtec change over is definitely smooth on the standard dc5 map, Smoother than ep3 Civic's I've driven in the past. However since I've had my car mapped you can definitely feel it engage now as there is more torque in the vtec range.