VTEC issue?

dc55_11

Advanced Member
Hi everyone,

Was just wondering if I could get your advice on something that has recently developed. Long story short when cornering hard the vtec engages then disengages for a bit with the revs still increasing but nowhere near the same rate. Then suddenly the car would enter vtec and acceleration becomes really quick again. This also sometimes happens when holding the revs in 3rd at 7k then flooring it again. It almost feels like it gets stuck and then it suddenly comes back into vtec again.

Very strange as it only recently has started doing this. However when accelerating in a straight line etc there are no issues, as if this wasn't confusing enough it doesn't do it always but often enough. Seems to me that it is somehow linked to sharp change of direction or hard cornering.

Any ideas? Has anyone had anything similar at all?

Thanks

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Check your oil levels. Make sure that the level is on the top mark when warm.

Failing that check the wiring to the oil pressure switch (just above the oil filter) and the VTEC solenoid which is just above that.

If that all seems ok, check the filter/gauze on the solenoid. These can easily get blocked up. Cheap to replace though.

Adam

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
*VSS/ SPEEDO if your car loses its speed reference vtec will not engauge. the ecu will see it just as if you were sitting still reving the engine, no vtec

*TACHOMETER i have seen a case where there was a problem with a persons tach, and i don't know where the wiring problem was, but if the ecu doesn't have a tach reference , then how is it going to know when you reach proper rpm.. exactly

*OIL, if you don't have the correct oil presure no vtec: possible causes: dented or damaged oil pan (as members have said before) , not enough oil, or oil is so old and crappy it is thin as water

*VTEC OIL PRESURE switch, The vtec oil presure switch is what feeds back information the the computer to tell it wether or not the opening of the solinoid has alowed high presure oil into the vtec oil gallerys. Once the solinoid opens oil shoud presurize the vtec oil ways pushing the locker pins into place while the oil presure sensor right next to the vtec solinoid feeds back info to the ecu.

*TEMP, the cars coolant temp needs to be at a certian temp for vtec to engage, if any of your temperature sensors are screwed up that is another possibility to look into

*VTEC SOLINOID GASKET/screen, i have heard and seen many cases where a cloged or dirty screen that is part of the vtec soliniod gasket caused vtec to not engage or be intermitant.

*THROTTLE POSITION, if your throwing a code for the TPS being bad or wacky this can also cause intermitant or no engagement, from my expermiments, whether vtec engauges or not is throttle position dependent.

dc55_11

Advanced Member
Thanks for the help, will try your suggestions one by one to see if its fixed