vtec not kicking in?

Type K

Advanced Member
check the air filter, come across a few of the b series engines that wont engage vtec due to having dirty filters may apply here as well

mikey_t8

Advanced Member
vtec back in action.. took it to the honda doctor, he test drove it and it kicked in.. :S maybe i didn't floor it hard enough.. :/

anyways, now vtec is kicking, i started to hear a small metal rattling sound which only occurs when im in vtec.. been told it might be the heat shield and it's a common problem? can someone confirm this?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
mikey_t8 said:
vtec back in action.. took it to the honda doctor, he test drove it and it kicked in.. :S maybe i didn't floor it hard enough.. :/

anyways, now vtec is kicking, i started to hear a small metal rattling sound which only occurs when im in vtec.. been told it might be the heat shield and it's a common problem? can someone confirm this?
Without sounding offensive...why don't you just look buddy? Tap them with your hand see if it rattles. Theres two..one over the manifold, and one underneath over the driveshaft. Both are common to rotting yes.

But yes as for vtec, you have to floor it to feel the full effect. You didn't try this before? :p lol

DC5RS

DC5
i personally never floored it, yea i didn't ever, but still you hear vtec kicking in (massive difference in sound) , this is with aftermarket filter.

So dont know about the theory "need to floor it to activate it"

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Yes I understand that you dont have to floor it. They have I vtec so it goes on throttle position. But if there was a problem with it not engaging and all the perimeters were met, then surely a little bootfull just to check would have been the norm? Clear the pipes so to speak. Lol

DC5RS

DC5
Jimmer said:
Yes I understand that you dont have to floor it. They have I vtec so it goes on throttle position. But if there was a problem with it not engaging and all the perimeters were met, then surely a little bootfull just to check would have been the norm? Clear the pipes so to speak. Lol
Correct :D i dont want to know how dirty my pipes are lol

wj51fut

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
I think maybe not shouting "y0000!" at 6000rpm could have been the problem :D
I thought that was what you had to do to activate it??! Lol

It also could depend on how far your accelerator cable has stretched. Mine has gone quite far but it still hits the marker on the throttle body so I know it fully opens. See if yours does the same and at what point on the pedal.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Steve_DC5 said:
Check the solenoid isn't blocked. Take it off the back of the engine and have a look.
You might need to replace the gauze. They get clogged up very easily. About £8 from Honda.

VT-Doo

RushDoo
Mikey_t8: It seems you have a lot to learn. My advice, read as many threads on here as you can.

Gok (aka Chinese Adam) said:
There is no second cam or lobe effect on these cars. Trust me, I've taken mine apart many a time.

Adam
I'm sorry, WHAT? :xaiweb3:

wj51fut

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:
Mikey_t8: It seems you have a lot to learn. My advice, read as many threads on here as you can.

I'm sorry, WHAT? :xaiweb3:
Not sure what you are questioning here Ian?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
DC5RS said:
Sorry i am noob with mechanics but at 4k it starts the second ( if i am not mistaken shaft or something) hence the sound change

at 6200 starts the vtec.
This is what I was referring too. Should have quoted it sorry. 😔

mikey_t8

Advanced Member
Thanks for all the replies..

Jimmer said:
Without sounding offensive...why don't you just look buddy? Tap them with your hand see if it rattles. Theres two..one over the manifold, and one underneath over the driveshaft. Both are common to rotting yes.

But yes as for vtec, you have to floor it to feel the full effect. You didn't try this before? :p lol
erm... i actually have no idea where the heatsheild is.. (ah this is embarasing :/ ) i opened up the bonet and tried to listen to rattles but it's all nice before vtec kicks in.. and no, i never fully floored it before as it kicked in in previous occasions without flooring it..

VT-Doo said:
agreed, as i have said before, i am still a dc5 noob so learning as i go..

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Yes im aware that it doesn't need to to have the throttle buried to the floor to make vtec engage, hence why I said to get the FULL effect. :). if I was experiencing problems, all I was implying is that if everything checked out like oil was ok, and no other obvious signs to stop it, then I would do what that garage did...just give some welly. :) but never mind.

We are all new to this sort of thing at one stage mate, don't pannic. have a search. if you can jack up a car..., you can find one heatsheild, and if you can open a bonnet,... you can find the other. It really is that simple. :) Ones behind the engine block at the rear of the engine bay, and the other is at a similar place underneath. If you search on here heatsheild rattling im sure lots will come up. If I remember right one has pictures too. ;)

But glad vtec works. Happy hunting mate. Lots of helpful stuff on here. :)