Water Temperature

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Wasn't sure whether to post this here on in the track section...
For anyone that tracks their car and has gauges to measure water temp, do you know how hot is too hot?
looking for a 'normal' running temp with a 'too hot' temp so I that i've got a percentage difference as of course it varies depending on setup.

This came about because one of my Mugen dials was lighting up on track. The temp rose from the usual running temp of 90 oC to 110 oC
I'm curious as opposed to worried as I doubt i'd ever be pushing my car to the extents of serious overheating.

Cheers,

Rob.

Advanced Member
Mine runs about 90 oC on track, but have seen it at 100 oc on a very hot day, so 110 oC does seem bit high

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
from memory NOT gospel but...

normal running temp is 88deg,

on kpro fan is forced at 94 deg

overheating temp is 104 deg and should be avoided.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Thanks chaps, this at least gives me a guideline for next time.

Cheers,

blueguy

Resident J's whore
So can KPRO be used to to lower the switch on fan temp enough to be used as an alternative to an aftermarket thermoswitch?

If so, which option would you recommend Si, new thermoswitch or KPRO config?

Cheers,

Rob.

Advanced Member
Low temp fan switch are only about £25-£30 if that helps, maybe wise to put low temp thermostat in if used on track a lot

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i used std switches and std settings in kpro, and it would only ever get to just under 100 on track and would fluctuate between 85 and 95 on the road (reading off a scale on a guage)
Honda designed it to run at a certain temp so i am a beleiver that it should be as close as poss to that temp, for example when we ran Toms (TGM) old racecar on the dyno it had no stat, we couldnt get it warm enough to allow proper vtec operation with the dyno fans on!
If the cooling system is in good order then i dont think you should have too much of a problem.

you can set the kpro to switch on the fan at whatever temp, and to generate cel, add more fuel etc etc.

you could also consider that the guage may not be accurate, i would get it checked as i had that problem with an oil pressure one once, i thought i had hardly any pressure so panicked but it was a faulty guage sender, where did you fit the sender unit as that can also cause temp fluctuations?

blueguy

Resident J's whore
The gauges were fitted in Japan by the original owner, so I don't know :oops:
I'm down at TGM this coming Saturday, so i'll ask Tom to take a look and i'll report back if it's anything interesting as I don't think there are many past posts on this topic.

Thanks again for the info chaps :xcheers:

LeeH

Advanced Member
Si, I was thinking about an uprated fan switch and an oil cooler to keep engine temps down following a imminent JRSC conversion.

Now I'm not so sure :? :(

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with keeping the temps down but if the std cooling system can cope why alter it?

HOWEVER, with a blower then you will be asking more of the engine than a n/a setup so some cooling mods may e a good idea,

I would agree with using an oil cooler on any track driven car, the oem one isnt very good really, it is more to warm the oil when on coldstart as the water warms quicker.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
no just stick it in, a lower temp stat can result in less blower heat in the winter tho

VT-Doo

RushDoo
I wouldn't. 80degC is too low for the fan to come on.
Why do you think you need one?

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Anything to help in bay temperatures should be a good thing... can you not get an override switch for the fan?

VT-Doo

RushDoo
The engine has an operating temperature; the fan is there to help the water temperature stay at it's optimum, not to put it on early for no real reason.

I think what you're thinking of is intake temperature.