Wax oil and rust arch

ljcharm

Hi guys.

So I'm wanting to get the underneath of the I try wax oiled ready for the winter (only drive at weekends) and I also have slight surface rust on my rear passenger wheel arch. The arch had been treated previously by a different owner but has started to come back through. I have been quoted £240 inc. VAT all in for the work to be carried out. The garage mention that the rear quarter panel will need to be lacquered off?

Just wondering if this sounds like a reasonable price? And is the above information correct?

Thanks for your help you lovely lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reggie91

Advanced Member
It seems like an okay price. That's a very similar price to what Tom at TGM quoted me for an underseal

ljcharm

Not bad then I see. Will be getting in touch with Tom shortly for service and MOT :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I would strongly advise against using wax oil. There are far better products on the market these days than that horrid stuff.

When I imported mine in Nov, I stripped the underneath to bare chassis, and removed everything from the front and rear. I spent a long time researching different products to use, and came across Bilt Hamber, an English company making quality products.

What I sealed most of mine with was a clear wax, called Dynax-UC. It comes in a 750ml aerosol and goes on lovely, I used a hand held aerosol can attachment from halfrauds which made controlling the can much easier.

The main advantage of using this stuff over wax oil, aside from it being piss easy to apply, is that it's clear, so any break and potential corrosion will be visible and not hidden under a layer of sticky brown mess. It also seems into cracks via capillary action, which I seen with my very own eye lenses.

I've just realised you're not planning on doing this yourself. tits. I'll leave it anyway as it's good information for anyone that wants to protect just their arches or something for winter.

Bilt Hamber sell a winter 'kit' actually. Very good products, I highly recommend.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way. :p

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Kevin85 do you have any photos of your work, This really needs to be one of the first things I do but have never had to do it before.

When you say you stripped the underneath off I take it you mean everything lol

MrRy

Advanced Member
Bilt Hamber do good stuff. Probably the best. Check out my build to see an alternative to waxoyl.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
ollydc5 said:
Kevin85 do you have any photos of your work, This really needs to be one of the first things I do but have never had to do it before.

When you say you stripped the underneath off I take it you mean everything lol
Hey, I don't have any photos I don't think. I might have a couple I took on my phone, but I'm not known for my documentation of work. I should really as I do the work myself, maybe I'll start a project thread for this car. Maybe.. :p

Yeah unfortunately the more you take off, the better you can get in to the nooks and crannies. Plus you can get some assembly paste on all the threads and make future work easy peasy. It makes such a difference if all the bolts are clean and corrosion free on the threads.

I removed everything except the subframe: fuel tank, suspension, arch liners, front wings, bumpers, side skirts, lights, exhaust, fuel lines, brake lines..

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I must admit I'm just going to jump in head first, I'm not known for cleaning cars lol but I don't want to let this car down as its pretty clean.

Was a bit gutted with the state of my last dc5 as I left it for 3 months standing and didn't realise my garage was flooding :-( started rotting underneath and wasn't sealed at all, new teg has to sleep outside for a few months until my Dads unit is built and I can move another project. I've got a feeling the car is going to be off the road for a good few weeks. Will follow your advice and post it up in my build thread, hopefully I can do you proud ha ha.

Any idea how long this stuff will last ?

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I hate cleaning cars as well, but as long you're mechanically competent to put the car back together you should be fine. It's not like painting, just get the stuff on there and you're done. :)

Also, expect the wheels to be pointing in the wrong direction when you reassemble, so book yourself a full alignment.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Thanks a lot Kevin. I think I'll be alright, have been rebuilding a classic mini for a good few months with the old man :)

Thanks about the geometry heads up, gives me a chance to replace bushes, tie rods etc along the way