Weird droning noise - 60kmh+

Bonito

Advanced Member
OK, so at first I thought it was my rear wheel needed to be balanced but the noise is still there.

It starts at 60kmh and then gets louder as I increase speed but the noise itself doesnt get faster, which by my guess it means the noise is not caused by something rotating?

The car is driving and handling normally and I had it off the ground and pulled the crap out of all suspension components and nothing is loose.

The noise sounds similar to a bassy exhaust drone but isn't consistent with the revs, it jumps up and down. Even at a constant speed the noise varies.

Possible hub issue? Alignment? Maybe I got the toe bolt back on wrong when I had the suspension apart? Vibration of wind passing through somewhere under the chassis?

I'll try get a video of the noise!

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Sounds like it could be a wheel bearing might be worth jacking each corner up & spinning the wheels see if you can hear a grinding sound or anything like that?

Bonito

Advanced Member
A few people have said bearing. If I only hear it at 60+, be hard to hear a grinding noise casually spinning the wheels no? Maybe pull the brake disc off?

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Bonito said:
A few people have said bearing. If I only hear it at 60+, be hard to hear a grinding noise casually spinning the wheels no? Maybe pull the brake disc off?
Don't forget the bearing will be under load at 60+ to make the noise, but even spinning the wheel it will still make a noise Have you bent the brake disc cover? against the hub or something? I've just replaced my bearing and that sounded awful just spinning it?

Bonito

Advanced Member
I'll double check but fairly sure the disc cover is fine!

Me thinky it's the bearing! And only just thinking, I don't think my spare hub has a bearing on it so I'll have to go buy one!

Dan34

Advanced Member
Long shot but could be your tyres? Check that the tread isn't stepped.

Bonito

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
Long shot but could be your tyres? Check that the tread isn't stepped.
Gonna swap them around and see before I go changing the bearing. It aint cheap!

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
I got a rear wheel bearing for £72 & i belive the front is £60 but they weren't genuine only adl blueprint.

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Bonito said:
I'd say genuine is around £105 - £120.
I was qouted £140 for the rear from honda & that was with discount from my mate who works there. But tom at tgm said don't need to go genuine so i didn't lol!

Bonito

Advanced Member
So I stuck in the Honda part number into micksgarage.com and I got back a whole list of cars that use the same bearing assembly but can anyone confirm the specs. They're all the same specs and only differences is prices based on different brands.

Can anyone cofirm these are the right specs?

Inner Diameter [mm]: 30
Number of Teeth, ABS ring: 50
Outer Diameter [mm]: 152
Rim Hole Number: 4
Supplementary Article/Supplementary Info 2: with wheel hub Width [mm] 83,5