Weird noise when turning

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Hi guys

When I turn my steering wheel at low rpm/speed I hear a weird creeking noise that sounds like a spring being stretched and unstretched

Wondered if anyone had any ideas what is wrong?

scrawnban

Your sterling system is hydraulic so if it's a creaking noise when the car is stopped and under its most physical load it's something steering rack related or something down low near your wheels. Tie rod end....ball joint... Steering arm...sounds like something needs to be greased or is perished. Get someone to stand outside the car and spin her lock to lock with the bonnet open and have a listen to the power steering pump/belt and get them to have a listen to in around the wheels when turning. Ideally you'll have to get it on a ramp or a lift and see of there's something worn or perished in your steering system.

DC5RS

DC5
I had a similar noise, changed the ball joint that you can see above the wheel (i don't know the name) and problem solved.

SPek9

Advanced Member
Ball joint usually starts with a creaking sound when turning stationary, then with more wear it can turn into a knocking when hitting bumps

Driveshafts and cv problems are usually a vibration or loud clicking sound when driving and turning

My car has Skunk2 lowering springs and they seem to move around and clunk when turning at low speeds and parking, this is due to the fact that they are not as compressed as the standard springs in the standard shocks and because of the strut/single wishbone design letting them move about

truupR

Advanced Member
Mine sometimes whines when I'm under full right/left lock and creeping forward . I'm no mechanic but I'm assuming it's something amiss with the powersteering perhaps... Let us know if you get any updates!