weird problem, pls help!

tokgeen

hi guys,

ive recently exprienced a weird problem with my engine, it doesnt happen frequently, only every once in a while but enought to annoy me or get me worried...

when my dc5R is driven hard, only happens with 2nd gear btw. For example, when i am coming out of a turn and im stepping hard on full throttle at 2nd gear. Vtec is supposed to come in at 6000rpm (pls correct me if wrong, to what i remember its 5500-6000, cant remember the exact vtec come in rpm), so as expected, the rpm rises yet between 6-7000rpm, i suddenly felt a loss in power and suddenly after a second or so the power come back in so bascially, u get a sudden "push" in the acceleration when the vtec comes back in. I know this is not right because the acceleration should be smooth and it was smooth before. I dont know whats happening now.

Im assuming there's sth wrong with my stock computer?
let me know your thoughts!
thansk!!

type-r-dunk

Advanced Member
OIL, the first thing to show low oil level is loss of VTEC sorry iVTEC. Check your oil or could poss be oil surge.

Good luck Dunx

T666YPR

Hard for me to say now my ECU has been meddled with but my A/F meter goes crazy in some situations...

...when accelerating full bore the a/f is around 13,then holding the revs steady before vtec (like mid-bend) the air fuel ratio is flys dips to around14.5 (about normal).Then for some reason,at times,it feels like there is a fuel cut and the engine loses power,but a slight press of the throttle and there is instant power again (a surge) the a/f meter at this point is going haywire.

I know what you mean,but I can't explain it. :(

truffs

I had this with Accord Type R, in one gear it tended to have a hiccup as it hit Vtec. I remembered that i once let it get very low on fuel trying to find a shell garage (werent that many around in my area then) Got some SDP fuel/injector clearence and it worked like a dream, i had got some gunk into my fuel line. May be that :?:

type-r-dunk

Advanced Member
At trax a couple of years ago with about a quarter a tank of fuel going arround Silverstone, the DC5 i was using suffered fuel starvation on some of the large fast courners. :idea:

(blue one with SKUNK 2 down the side, anyone remember it ? )

Dunx

ADH

The engine could be suffering from oil starvation, I believe that the race Integra's and Civic's are fitted with a baffled sump to overcome this problem.

neolee40

Advanced Member
I had this exact problem. And It might be the LSD playing correcting you :). I was accelearting hard around a conner and it jerked and lost power I think this is the LSD so some one told me then the CEL light came on. But driving now went out automatically :). Does this sound right?

T666YPR

neolee40 said:
I think this is the LSD so some one told me then the CEL light came on.
The lsd won't make the cel light come on.

Could be oil starvation,but only if the cel light comes on,the surge phenomenon is something else as I've got a baffled pan fitted and it still happens.

f1nal zeros

Advanced Member
Sounds like oil starvation to me. I had a similar problem. Tracking the car came out of turn 3 and gunned it. Vtec engaged at 7000 rpm instead of 6ooo rpm. Checked oil to find out it had went on vacation. I had to add 3 bottles to bring it back into a safe spot.

Check your Oil ASAP.

tokgeen

thanks so much for your input guys

i think ive identified the problem
oil starvation, u guys are absolutely right

i checked it last nite, and it was way below the bottom line.

however, it has only been 3500km since the last time i did a complete oil change, which is why i didnt even think of oil as a potential problem... so weird.

there's no leakage or anything, i checked... how often do u guys change oil, i was expecting myself to change every 4000km or so, but i didnt expect it to drain out by 4000km, not to mention its only 3500km now!!

again, thanks so much, appreicate it!

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Between the top and low marking on the dip stick is 1L.

The Honda engine can use 1L per 1000 miles.

In the EP3 (Civic Type-R manual) it states oil chould be cheaked every time the car is filled uo with fuel.

Mike

mikegsi

Staff member
mine is generally checked before i pull her out of my garage, that could be once a day or less, i know that may be over the top, but if i get into the habit of doing it, i wont forget!!! :D

Adz

Advanced Member
Easy to forget too..

Mine was doing exactly the same thing a few weeks ago.. round any really hard bends (noticably left handers)

Checked my Oil.. way low! :shock: