Weird resonance sound when free reving

Breeze

When driving the car and free reving with the clutch in the DC5R I am looking at buying makes a very weird resonance sound. Like a loose heat shield. I could not hear it when under the bonnet and reving the engine by hand.

Is this normal? Do any of the others do this? 2003, 20000kms

Cheers,

Charles

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
i get a noise when free reving or when driving around 3 -4 rpm range, but my exhaust barrel underneath is a little dented so that might be the reason...

dan the man

Advanced Member
When i rev my DC5 above 7.5kRPM i get the sound then till the redline, its like the engine is so smooth then starts to get harsher and more noisey as if its restrained a bit and doing all it can.

But now i have my carbon airbox on its a lot better i feel, less free and it hits the redline even quicker. i dont know if it was just vibration of general engine componentsor what before but now defo smoother and keener.

dan 8)

Wootty

Advanced Member
I had this - and just recently posted to someone else :lol:

Its a lose fitting in the exhaust system. There are compressible washers on some of the fixings and once the flatten out they go lose. Mine came in at about 3.5krpm going up and down the revs.

Took it back to my delaers service place and they nipped up all the fixings on the heat shields and exhaust components. Now no resonance :lol:

I tried doing it myself but without a ramp its nearly impossible to get to all the fixings.

Its very worrying at first but quite a siimple fix

Wootty

Advanced Member
I had this - and just recently posted to someone else :lol:

Its a lose fitting in the exhaust system. There are compressible washers on some of the fixings and once the flatten out they go lose. Mine came in at about 3.5krpm going up and down the revs.

Took it back to my delaers service place and they nipped up all the fixings on the heat shields and exhaust components. Now no resonance :lol:

I tried doing it myself but without a ramp its nearly impossible to get to all the fixings.

Its very worrying at first but quite a siimple fix

g-zone

Advanced Member
Hmmm, interesting. I've started noticing this in the last few months - again seems to be around 3.8k when free revving and around 4.2k when in 3rd/4th gear. Seems to come and go though.

Had a look underneath yesterday but couldn't spot anything loose - definitely coming from the front of the car though. I think I might need to invest in some ramps!

Wootty

Advanced Member
g-zone said:
Had a look underneath yesterday but couldn't spot anything loose - definitely coming from the front of the car though. I think I might need to invest in some ramps!
I spent ages trying to find it. I was sure it was a heat shield and even managed to get the one behind the exhaust mani off - and found that hose clip (cant find the original post and picture?).

Without a ramp your fubar'd as you cant get down through the engine bay to get to the lower fixings. At one point i was balanced on the engine cover, feet in the air - looked like the teg had eaten me :lol:

I think its one of thoae that apply if you have the standard mani and zorts. If any of its been changed then these lose bolts would have been nipped up and you wouldnt have the problem.

Its a realy simple fix to such an annoying problem :shock: :D

type-r-dunk

Advanced Member
Remove the air box and adjust (bend) the snapped support bracket for the clutch pipe ontop of the G-box. You dont really need it.
It sounds like the noise is high up inside the dash but its actually the bracket that fractures. had it on a couple of my sales cars.
Dunx

g-zone

Advanced Member
Thanks dunk. This might just do the trick. Will have a rummage around when I get a chance.