Weird starting issue. Any Ideas welcome :)

badeshi

Advanced Member
I had very similar issue with my old ep3. Was briefly intermittent then stopped starting via a key.

Fitted new start motor (pig of a job) and same problem!

so then I figured must be ignition/immobilizer so ended up running extra 12v line to starter from the ignition....

it was a while ago so forgotten exactly how but I think I ran 12V from cigarette lighter, via ignition straight to Starter motor...

Fixed!
I assume the immobilizer wouldn't properly work but I have a feeling it was a 3rd party system anyway... main thing it was working again..

I spoke to Honda before buying new starter motor and they were very doubtful as they (swindon) reckon they never had to change one before....

Though Glad you fixed it!!

Bewesy

Advanced Member
badeshi said:
I had very similar issue with my old ep3. Was briefly intermittent then stopped starting via a key.

Fitted new start motor (pig of a job) and same problem!

so then I figured must be ignition/immobilizer so ended up running extra 12v line to starter from the ignition....

it was a while ago so forgotten exactly how but I think I ran 12V from cigarette lighter, via ignition straight to Starter motor...

Fixed!
I assume the immobilizer wouldn't properly work but I have a feeling it was a 3rd party system anyway... main thing it was working again..

I spoke to Honda before buying new starter motor and they were very doubtful as they (swindon) reckon they never had to change one before....

Though Glad you fixed it!!
Thanks for the info.

I‘m still not 100% but it‘s been fine since so time will tell.

I must say the second time you do it is massively easier. Reckon I could swap a starter in 2 hours now, providing there‘s not seized / snapped bolts.

If it does it again I‘ll be ripping out the Cobra immobiliser and make sure all the wiring is as it should be then hopefully tracing the issue will be easier.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Aaa...if you have a cobra I would check above the exhaust tunnel in behind the dash.

An old member had an issue with this alarm years ago, the heat from the exhaust over years had melted all the contacts in this box thing,( whatever it is cobra or the installer had put there) causing it to just radomly cut out.

Hopefully you don‘t have to get a new alarm, but as the car is working I would check there just to be safe. :)

Bewesy

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Aaa...if you have a cobra I would check above the exhaust tunnel in behind the dash.

An old member had an issue with this alarm years ago, the heat from the exhaust over years had melted all the contacts in this box thing,( whatever it is cobra or the installer had put there) causing it to just radomly cut out.

Hopefully you don‘t have to get a new alarm, but as the car is working I would check there just to be safe. :)
Cheers for that. It does look like both Cobra modules are up above the bonnet release though so I don‘t think it‘s heat related. I reckon i can get it out and rejoin the cut circuits if it does continue, but finger crossed it‘s sorted.