What can get rid of gear shifter slack?

Mudgey

Advanced Member
Hello,

Noticed there is a little bit of play in my gear shifter, could be from worn out bushings, cables, the shifter itself etc?

What have people done to tighten up the gearshift?

For example, I have seen K-Tuned do spherical shifter bushings, anybody fitted these?

spooke

Advanced Member
I found the best budget mod is the K-Tuned billet shifter arm, it gives a what I would say how it should have been as standard - direct, little play and feels pretty much perfect to me now.

If you want to go all out, bushings for the gearbox side, K-Tuned billet shifter, K-Tuned race cables and MTEC race springs inside the gear selector.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
There was a tiny fibre washer that was perished in mine. Talboss Engineering (my dad) made me a spacer from delrin and the slop has gone.

I didn't take a photo of it, but it's where one of the cables mounts to the gear stick. Take the trim off and have a look inside, you should be able to see where the play is coming from before you start throwing parts at it.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
I've installed both the Ktuned shifter arm and short shifter, Just note it doesn't get rid of all the slack.

If you want a super tight gear change then maybe get full shifter box

Mudgey

Advanced Member
Thanks for the responses, i'll have a good look and see if I can identify what's going on with it!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I found that the ball part of the ball joint was cracked in half on mine! Terrible slack in it. The mtec race spring and washer helped. But ultimately you would need to change the shifter and cables and also the selector to get rid of the slack.

Fez

Advanced Member
Mtec shifter bushes got rid of my slack, i have the ktuned shifter too.