What cars can the DC5 beat?

alucardo

Advanced Member
I think the optimal test would be if we got it sent round the top gear test track... would have to be completely OEM but I think we'd be pleasantly surprised at the time...
BMW M3 1.31.8 Nissan 350Z 1.31.8 Mazda RX-8 1.31.8 BMW 535d 1.31.8 BMW 130 1.31.9 Mercedes S63 AMG 1.32.0 Ford Focus RS 1.32.2 Mazda 6 MPS 1.32.2 Lotus Esprit V8 1.32.5 Audi TT V6 1.32.7 MG ZT 1.33.0 Noble M12 GTO 1.33.1 Mercedes SL 55 AMG 1.33.2 Volkswagen Golf R32 1.33.2 Audi Q7 V12 TDI 1.33.2 Cadillac CTS 1.33.3 Honda Civic Type-R 1.33.5

Id expect the dc5 in the mix here on the tg track.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
When my tutor showed me around Oulton Park last year, I had main power and handling mods, CAI, RBC, Toda mani/exhaust, and handling mods, Mugen SS, TGM FRS and Paul G discs with Mintex 1144 pads.

Nothing beat him apart from an evo 8 coming out of corners, even scoobies were moving aside. The only thing that kept up but slowly disappearing in the rear view mirror was a Renault Megane (might of been an R26, had the cheque'd decals)

Final Warrior

I was told i should go to a class or two so i can understand how my car drives and i think i will do that first :) some good point made in this topic so far and i cant wait to get out there and rep for the DC5, lol.

I however meant what cars would be best suited to race against the DC5 (let's say both drivers are exactly the same in all aspects) i am more interested in 1/4 mile but track is a close second.

Totally random post but i found out i got a high flow exhaust from the cat back (so not the cat) when they fixed my car :) also i am taking out stock filter from box and putting in my K&N pod filter inside the box just for that sucking sound until i can aford a good intake. I wont get any gains from that but will i?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
It just shows its probably over 70% down to the driver as some of the cars I was beating should have beaten me including Chipped Magane (275ish), Cayman S, M3, M5, Caterhams, Westfields, Clio RS Cup, Evo 7 and the list goes on. Love this car even more now :wub:

kingston

Advanced Member
All hot hatches will post around the same sorta times in the 1/4 mile stakes, it will then come down on the driver and potentially what mods the other cars may have/if they can get the power down.

IF you want a 1/4 mile car, the DC5 really wont be for you and youd be better of buying and EP3 and spending the change on a super/turbo charged conversion + lsd

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
Ditto above, take it easy and find your limit then start to push yourself and you will find the car is still very much within its capabilities.

With everything stock if you are able to not hang on the brakes too much anything with up to 350hp can be tangled with/overtaken over a few laps but you must learn to use the DC5's superb balance, late breaking ability and hook up the LSD really early - all help LOTS to carry speed.

ab20000

Advanced Member
With everything stock if you are able to not hang on the brakes too much anything with up to 350hp can be tangled with/overtaken over a few laps but you must learn to use the DC5's superb balance, late breaking ability and hook up the LSD really early - all help LOTS to carry speed.
Sorry but this is so broad and is simply not true - there are numerous cars with 350bhp that would wipe the floor with a DC5 - I love my type r's but this is just far fetched IMO.

kingston

Advanced Member
Not really that far fetched, it depends on a lot of variables - track type, track condition, driver skill, how each car has been set-up etc

ab20000

Advanced Member
Not really that far fetched, it depends on a lot of variables - track type, track condition, driver skill, how each car has been set-up etc
Agreed that on a wet track a rwd car is at a disadvantage but I'm assuming all things like driver are equal otherwise a good driver could easily put a MUCH slower car round a track than 90% of DC5 drivers can put a DC5. Same driver and average across different conditions and a number of cars with 250 let alone 350 bhp could beat it.

kenzie 67

Advanced Member
Would love a wee bit of driver tuition, otherwise I dont think I could give the teg the drive she deserves/potential as I dont have vast amounts of track experience. Although I did make a Focus ST driver look rather foolish once :xgrin:

kingston

Advanced Member
Agreed that on a wet track a rwd car is at a disadvantage but I'm assuming all things like driver are equal otherwise a good driver could easily put a MUCH slower car round a track than 90% of DC5 drivers can put a DC5. Same driver and average across different conditions and a number of cars with 250 let alone 350 bhp could beat it.
And you point is what? More powerful track prep'd car with same driver will be quicker than a teg - someone give this man a medal.

At the end of the day, most track day drivers are not of the same standard, are not racing each other per se and cars will be in a different state of tune.

ab20000

Advanced Member
And you point is what? More powerful track prep'd car with same driver will be quicker than a teg - someone give this man a medal.
At the end of the day, most track day drivers are not of the same standard, are not racing each other per se and cars will be in a different state of tune.
Easy mate - I never said anything about track prep'd cars so not too sure what you are referring to. :unsure:

I love my type r's and think they are epic drivers cars - have had three over the years and still have a DC2 now so I'm not anti Honda I just think some of the blinkered views are a bit off the mark.... oh and my point is in relation to this comment

It stated everything stock - had assumed this meant a DC5 and whatever car it's up against also being stock and the driver being the same. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong or have misunderstood anything but please quote / refer to where this is the case.

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
ab20000 - you're right to a degree, but (and this is from someone who has moved on from his DC5) I stick to my statement.

Stock and stock, lets take for example an E46 M3 and DC5 on a lot of tracks there is little in it over the course of a few laps, broken down into, M3 tears off (power ad), DC5 will outbrake (weight ad) and potentially carry the same/ a touch more corner speed (confidence speed), M3 tears off (power), two laps later (stock M3 and stock DC5) the M3's rears will be potentially working outside their best temps as will the shoulders of the fronts (heavy), DC5's tyres only just warmed up, M3's brakes will begin to fade/get over hot (weight), DC5's breaks will be up to temp, thus "over a few laps" there really is not much in it. :xaiweb5:

You could argue this is an unfair comparison of heavy vs lighter, but IMO there are not that many "light" 350hp stock cars out there.

ab20000

Advanced Member
ab20000 - you're right to a degree, but (and this is from someone who has moved on from his DC5) I stick to my statement.

Stock and stock, lets take for example an E46 M3 and DC5 on a lot of tracks there is little in it over the course of a few laps, broken down into, M3 tears off (power ad), DC5 will outbrake (weight ad) and potentially carry the same/ a touch more corner speed (confidence speed), M3 tears off (power), two laps later (stock M3 and stock DC5) the M3's rears will be potentially working outside their best temps as will the shoulders of the fronts (heavy), DC5's tyres only just warmed up, M3's brakes will begin to fade/get over hot (weight), DC5's breaks will be up to temp, thus "over a few laps" there really is not much in it. :xaiweb5:

You could argue this is an unfair comparison of heavy vs lighter, but IMO there are not that many "light" 350hp stock cars out there.
Fair point but I would argue that with the same driver over a range of tracks a stock e46 M3 vs a stock DC5 the M3 would win nearly every time.

I think what you say raises some really good discussion points though - in stock form the DC5 (and other type r's) are all pretty good on track - however mods have less of an impact on type r's because they make the most of what they have out of the box. Take the same e46 M3 on a diet with uprated brakes and track suspension vs a DC5 with the same mods and it's a different result - the M3 is transformed the DC5 is better but not by such a margin.

The factor being ignored here is cost - which is one of the main reasons I still love and stick with my type r's that and the the driving experience is still outstanding.