What could be putting people off?

kevinjwiles

Advanced Member
Hey

I am just wondering if people knew what might be putting people off my car.

It's up for £6000 and I haven't had one person come and view it as yet.

coconat

Advanced Member
Well could you give us more details? a link to the advert? It could be any number of things..

ste01

Advanced Member
That can be normal for any car. Sometimes you won't even get a call for a week or so, and at the end of the day there are less people on the lookout for a DC5 than a focus or something. Then there is the fact you've owned it for such a short time, if I was looking at it if think "what's wrong to make them sell so soon?". Then the price, not sure of the condition/miles of your car but seems a bit cheap or desperate (again suspicious). You've got to remember people will always try and knock down the price so with it at 6k already I'd be expecting a bit of a rough car.

Mark_teg

Staff member
blueguy said:
Have you advertised in other places aside from the forum?
This! ^^
Type r owners forum
Pistonheads
Autotrader

I'd avoid gumtree etc as they seem to be full of chavs and chancers!

Erm

Advanced Member
Maybe cause you seem so desperate to sell it?

Judging by the forum there aren't that many people on the lookout for one at the moment, everyone that wants one seems to have one and anyone who is still looking for one is looking for one in a newer condition than many daily driven UK based ones are in.

You bought it at the time there were a few buyers on the lookout for one, and are selling it at a time that they've all found their teggy. Patience required, otherwise if you are that desperate drop the price and eventually someone will take a punt on it cause its got stupidly cheap.

Also with these cars you are buying them based on the previous owner IMO, and judging by the impression you've given out so far from your time here you seem....... rather......."intense" probably the best way of putting it, which would put me off if I'm being honest. This is the 3rd thread you've made about selling it that I can recall off the top of my head being the case in point. So chill out and eventually it will sell.

DC5DAVE

I think it's just a sign of the way things are at the moment mate, your valuation seems fair however £6k is still a lot of money to most people and not everyone wants a DC5. There are quite a few for sale at the moment also, If you are really keen to sell I'd be tempted to advertise elsewhere and fix a price of £5750 or similar with close ups of the common wear and tear areas to show it's not a mutt, that way yours should be the first on the list for prospective buyers of a cheaper DC5.

Just my opinion anyway.

Turbosnatch

Advanced Member
It's the fact your desperate to sell it so soon. If I was coming to look at it I would definitely be going over it with a fine tooth comb

Maybe try adding more pictures, every angle of the car inc bad bits, full interior shots, and most important of all a picture of the engine bay with a separate shot of the engine code on the block itself

172Ben

Advanced Member
you smell of desperation, id be waiting for you to knock another grand off as that seems to be what will happen if i wait a bit longer.

Have some patience, its a very niche car imo

G Man

Advanced Member
I'll be honest, you might be the thing putting people off the car, be patient.

I think you're for sale thread is fine, as Tara suggests the more pictures the better and pictures of the mentioned bad point shows your honesty. I like to include a quick snap of the service history when I list a car too.

Justin has raised the biggest point in that don't just rely on the forum to make a sale.

Ezza

Advanced Member
Mine took me around 2 months to sell and the viewings came in batches. Some weeks i had nothing and then the week after i had 3/4 people wanting to view. In the end I had 2 people wanting to view/buy the car at the same weekend. Ended up meeting a buyer at 1am in bluewater (Decent lighting), a deposit was left when he got home at 3am and he picked it up the next morning at 10am LOL.

If i recall he found my car through ebay but the transaction was done outside of ebay.

ste01

Advanced Member
Rewrite the advert. Why hide positive details like having the parcel shelf till the end? And forget that bit about taxing or MOTing the car for the new owner.

bennn

Advanced Member
Did you actually write that ad or is it the original one?

It just its written like you've owned the car for a while - "Always treated with mechanical sympathy, it has been washed weekly and waxed monthly"

Personally I think you should take some better pictures of the car, inside and out from different angles with a decent camera and re-write your ad with a bit more detail. If it was me selling the car I'd also be asking £500 more.

Would do you no end of favours to stick a new MOT on it as this would provide some piece of mind to suspicious buyers.

You don't have to let people know in the ad you haven't had it long but you shouldn't make out like you have as when they find out you haven't it will instantly make yourself out to be untrustworthy.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi mate,

As above I think it's the fact you bought the car and then decided to get rid within a day that is probably putting people off. I cannot understand why you bought it if you had a slight incling that you were going to get a job you should have hung fire on it bud.

I also think your multiple starting of threads has possibly put people off, in addition to that I don't think Blue is as desirable as other colous. I will likely have the same trouble selling mine. As above you may have to lower the asking price to get what you want.