What do you think about this DC5???

Captain_Liu

Hi all, been on this forum for a while now, but only made few posts.

I'm after a DC5 now, prefer to import one, but I heard it will take around
2 month to get it over here at this time.

Had a look at Pistonheads, found this one: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/190906.htm

The Milage is a bit higher than wot I'm looking for, but the price looks ok,
wot you guys think about it?
how much difference is it compared to a good 30K fresh import?

Allen

Ezza

Advanced Member
Its a 51 plate car which is 2001. Mileage is still way below average!!! Seems fine by me but dont judge on pics alone :wink:

Captain_Liu

thanks for the reply.

By the way, is there any way to verify the milage? is it easy to cheat on the milage clock?

Decklogic1

Advanced Member
Hi Mate - I am not saying this is a good or bad car - but I called re this car about 3 months ago.

When I started asking about History, SVA, or Jap auction sheet things went a little quiet, He had none of these details or docs. When I then asked about him servicing it before it was sold, and saying I wanted to do an independent RAC or AA check - he then told me it was sold.

In fairness I was trying to trade in a fully repaired Cat D car against this one - which could have put him off - but its just that at the beginning he knew about the Cat D as I was upfront, and he was cool with it. So he may have told me it was sold because he just changed his mind - Who knows.

I am sure it came from Keighley trade, or torque of Keighley - just do a search on those traders.

Its been on Piston heads for all that time - the ad just keeps getting updated.

Insist on a full mechanical Check from the RAC or AA and if he goes for it, and it comes up with a good report - then both seller and buyer will be happy - just go canny mate. All the best :wink:

Option

Advanced Member
Price doesnt seem unreasonable as its not far from what i paid and mine is a 'Y' reg with no C Pack and higher mileage :?

Stu

redcap

Advanced Member
All i will say is do the appropriate checks and Inspection's, have a good look and drive yourself.

Documents for it can be important if your looking for a car with history you should pay a slight premium, cars with no paperwork are a mystery so they will be cheaper. Even cars with paperwork have issues in my experience.

It is hard to find a good one out there. I did ok but there are a lot of shoddy examples around! good luck. 8)

tara

Advanced Member
In my experience you buy a car from how it looks,drives at the time etc and not auction grades or jap history as it means sod all really in this country :) all you need to do is take someone with you with previous experience or get the AA/RAC to check it for peace of mind :wink: its not rocket science and if it looks mint and drives right, all the panels and paint look original :?: then you will not go far wrong :wink: as long as its had oil changes then you will be fine as these cars do not really have a high maintenance cost for the first 60-70k, good luck.

redcap

Advanced Member
Probably not such an easy thing to check is how clean things are under the rocker cover. Mine was spot less, shows that it has had regular oil changes/servicing one of the cleanest Tom @ TGM has seen.

steveitr

Advanced Member
As everyone else has said just go steady and dont make any rash decisions, fully check around it, i also enquired about this car but was a bit put off by no service history and the fact it originally came from keighly trade centre :?

But i never went to see it therefore i dont know whether its in good nick or not.

Price seems good to me :D

dotty

Advanced Member
redcap said:
Probably not such an easy thing to check is how clean things are under the rocker cover. Mine was spot less, shows that it has had regular oil changes/servicing
So was mine 8)

one of the cleanest Tom @ TGM has seen.
He said that about mine too :eek:

tara

Advanced Member
dotty said:
redcap said:
Probably not such an easy thing to check is how clean things are under the rocker cover. Mine was spot less, shows that it has had regular oil changes/servicing
So was mine 8)

That is because 99% would look like that :wink: its going to have to be really sha.... to look bad with a rocker cover off :)

mikegsi

Staff member
dotty said:
redcap said:
So was mine 8)

he said that about mine too

(well, he would of if he'd seen it!)

though system r said mine was one of the strongest ones they'd worked on :wink:

benny

Advanced Member
thats cheap, a lad near me has just paid 13500 for the same car with 10000 miles less on the clock? get it inspected cost but may be worth it?

Raffe

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
dotty said:
redcap said:
So was mine 8)

he said that about mine too

(well, he would of if he'd seen it!)

though system r said mine was one of the strongest ones they'd worked on :wink:
They know what to say to keep their customers happy :lol: :lol: :wink:

dotty

Advanced Member
I was actually there when they took it off, I was there whilst another one was there and the rocker cover on the other car had lots of oil residue on the top, Mine was spotless 8)

Its worth doing some homework when buying a DC5, I bought mine from someone on here and 9k miles later I still have no problems, It does not use a drop of oil either 8)

Raffe

Advanced Member
dotty said:
I bought mine from someone on here and 9k miles later I still have no problems, It does not use a drop of oil either 8)
Agree with that, bought mine off Ian back in November last year and have also done about 8k miles without a single problem, mine uses a little oil but thats Honda engines, some do and some don't :D