What Petrol do you use?

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Wondering what Petrol everyone puts in?

In my past 3 cars ive only ever used Shell V Power! And use this in my Teg too.

However someone told me Tesco is better, since the Tegs are meant to be 100 Ron, Tesco is 99ron and V power is 97 ron?

Bonito

Advanced Member
Dunno about in the UK but over in Ireland Tesco petrol is dirt and I wouldn't put it in a lawnmower. V-Power or E5.

martinj46

Advanced Member
V-power for me. I do occaisionally have to resort to Tesco Momentum though due to living out in the country, and the car doesn't seem to run any different on it.

I have heard though that the likes of V-power is an actual high ron petrol, whereas supermarket stuff, i.e. Tesco momentum is normal petrol with additives stuck in to bring it up. Not sure how much truth there is in that though?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
V-Power is more 99 Ron.

I used to use BP 97 but my local one closed so I now get V-Power, must admit, car is more responsive on it!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
V-Power is more 99 Ron.

I used to use BP 97 but my local one closed so I now get V-Power, must admit, car is more responsive on it!
Ahem, told you. I've used nothing but V-Power in mine and previous imports. I like it. Supposedly cleans out the fuel line too. (Don't know how?!) I wouldn't go near supermarket fuel, even with a Ford.

tico_87

Advanced Member
Only v-power in mine. Used BP ultimate once when v-power wasn't available anywhere. Apparently as said tesco fuel is crap so stay away.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
vpower is 99 and a better quality fuel than momentum 99 IMO. Get what you pay for?

rascal69

Advanced Member
Yeah vpower is now 99 ron and i use it in my evo and dc5.
Evo is mapped on vpower now so cant really use much else in it. If i do cant give it a hard time

chiltls

I too would never use Tesco fuel.
I have used Shell Vpower etc...
But I now only use Sainburys Super, tests that I have carried out had nothing to do with response or power gains.

1. I pull the fuse on the ECU
2. I then fill the car up with the fuel I am testing twice over doing as near identical journeys to the other fuels
3. Back to 1 with the next fuel test.

I look for MPG only and have found that V power and Sainsbuys super come out very close MPG the rest fall way behind.

Day to day driving I get approx 250 - 325 from a full tank, on a run I get up to 425 miles from a tank

Just my personal findings, I have nothing to do with any fuel company.

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
Interesting read here.. I used V-Power at first then I switched to using Tesco Momentum and not felt any difference in response or power and no problems with my car so far, have been using it for a good 5-6 months now.

The other half of RE Spirit uses Tesco Momentum in his RX-7 FD without any difference in response or power. We seem to get more miles out of it than we do using V-Power.

Test and Measure I suppose? :)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Interesting read here.. I used V-Power at first then I switched to using Tesco Momentum and not felt any difference in response or power and no problems with my car so far, have been using it for a good 5-6 months now.

The other half of RE Spirit uses Tesco Momentum in his RX-7 FD without any difference in response or power. We seem to get more miles out of it than we do using V-Power.

Test and Measure I suppose? :)
I have tested it, V-Power and BP Ultimate 97, Shell Gave a whole 2bhp more on the dyno, lol.

But... downside is I have noticed the car has slightly less MPG on V-power.

Not sure its worth 2bhp for less MPG, but then I no longer have a local BP...which I would switch back to without a question.

Car is OK with anything from 97 octane ideally up to 102 I believe.

c7frw84

Advanced Member
I use tesco momentum in my teg and haven't had any problems either it still feels very responsive, I've put shell vpower in it a few times and to be honest didn't notice any difference in power, tried sainsburys super unleaded as well and would never use it again could feel the car hesitating when accelerating, don't know if this could be anything to do with the car being mapped on 99 ron or the petrols no use

Vtequila

Dutchy
I have used BP Ultimate 98 since I owned the car, we have Shell V-Power here (Holland) aswell. Should I concider stepping over ?

Friend of mine says that V-power creates detonation..

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I have used BP Ultimate 98 since I owned the car, we have Shell V-Power here (Holland) aswell. Should I concider stepping over ?

Friend of mine says that V-power creates detonation..
Strange because usually the higher the octane the less likely it is to det but I guess it's down to your map and what's its designed to burn on efficiently.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Good test here, Seems V-power is the best,
It starts around 25 seconds in.
Wont be quite the same gains for a N/A Car, lol. The Golf is Turbo.

In a standard DC5, the v-power is +1-2bhp at best over BP Ultimate I found out. So that validates my own testing.... good find Jon!

Plus as I said before, the Ultimate gave me more MPG, more power isn't always better.

Strange because usually the higher the octane the less likely it is to det but I guess it's down to your map and what's its designed to burn on efficiently.
Yeah really you want to map the car to a lower octane (97) to be safe, then have the option of running on the higher octane :)
The differences on N/A cars is minimal, but still there.

lujamil

Advanced Member
Yeah really you want to map the car to a lower octane (97) to be safe, then have the option of running on the higher octane :)
The differences on N/A cars is minimal, but still there.
really? I'm going to get my car mapped within the next month so should I use standard Shell Unleaded (as I use V-Power) when getting the car mapped and then go back to v-power thereafter? :/