What Petrol do you use?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
really? I'm going to get my car mapped within the next month so should I use standard Shell Unleaded (as I use V-Power) when getting the car mapped and then go back to v-power thereafter? :/
That's what I was advised by Si, But only if you use 97 and 99 petrols. Apparently it's best to have the option. You don't want to map your car to too high an octane then run it on a lower octane... but I'm just relaying what I'm told, I think it's best to speak to the person that maps your car about it and see what they say :)

Teg_Ben

Advanced Member
Ive been using normal unleaded in my dc5 for years, because i just thought it was all marketing hype about v-power etc. Couldn't justify the extra £ when i thought the Teg was quick enough on normal unleaded.

Read recently about the teg being mapped to jap fuel which is 100 ron, so i filled the empty tank with shell v-power and i must say, I was pretty surprised with the extra umph! :xaiweb6:

I'm yet to see if there's any mpg difference.

Does anybody else use normal unleaded on here? some dc5 owner definitely must.

Fubar Andy

Advanced Member
Weirdly it's not the RON number you really need to be interested in but the MON level...

The Research Octane Number (RON) gives a good view on Knock properties at low RPM (slow corner, beginning of re-acceleration). For example, RON is important for Motocross because they are always in re-acceleration.

The Motor Octane Number (MON) gives a good view on Knock properties at high RPM (speed races). The MON is important in competition where speed is the main target.

You should be aware that high octanes are not required for all kind of engines: Turbo and 2 stroke engines need high octanes, but 4 strokes engines with high RPM need a higher speed of combustion than octane.

The second interesting fact I found from a friend that is a chemical engineer is that the cheaper fuels are usually failed or cast off fuels from the bigger companies where is doesn't make their specification to pass certain EN regulations or requirements.

This is then sold to supermarkets where it is (in the same plant) given cheaper additives so that it burns to the EN requirements and passes emissions.
However this cheaper fuel is more prone to absorption of moisture and other air and moisture borne crap that then becomes mixed with the fuels.

Although it burns fine and your engine "go's" is all the rest of the crap being ingested by your engine, fuel system, injectors and sensors that contaminates everything thing around it.

I remember that a number of supermarkets in 2010 has issues with there fuel because it had silicone in it and Asda was taken to court (and ASDA lost) due to dirt in their fuels.

To a degree fuel will still burn and make our cars go, it's whether you keep using cheaper brands and have more costly problems in the future or pay a little more for better quality and also wave your VPower fuel card around when you collect your points xthumbup

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Tesco stuff will be fine, the new GTR's can run in in so I think a DC5 should be ok

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
never bothered with the super unleaded variants.. always used 95/normal in my CTR and i will probably use the same in the DC5.

unless it makes a HUGE difference then its not worth the extra money imo..

Mark_teg

Staff member
SuperFLY said:
never bothered with the super unleaded variants.. always used 95/normal in my CTR and i will probably use the same in the DC5.

The reason we use it in the DC5 is because the fuel in Japan is 101 ron (IIRC), so super is about as close to that as we can get! (99 ron).

A UK EP3 is obviously built with UK fuel in mind, probably the reason they have lower compression ratio etc.

dotty

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:

The reason we use it in the DC5 is because the fuel in Japan is 101 ron (IIRC), so super is about as close to that as we can get! (99 ron).

A UK EP3 is obviously built with UK fuel in mind, probably the reason they have lower compression ratio etc.
This is correct. I'd advise not using normal juice in a Teg.

In Europe I try and get the 102 Ron stuff ;)

Modmedia

Advanced Member
Highest we can get over here is 97 :/

If we could get 99/100 I'd put it in regardless of cost.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Taken from Wikipedia;

In the United Kingdom and Denmark (where Super Unleaded must be a minimum of 97 RON), V-Power has a rating of 99 RON (whereas V-Powers' predecessor Shell Optimax was rated at 98 RON). There is one other 99 RON fuel available in the UK, namely Tesco MOMENTUM99.

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:

makes sense, cheers :)

although as mentioned above i've always thought normal super was 97 not 99.

guess if i wanted to run it on normal the best bet would be to lob a k-pro in there and get it mapped for it?

may be a little awkward if i wanted the higher stuff.. i dont have a tesco or shell anywhere near me.. doh (well, not within 10 miles anyway)

chrex

Advanced Member
I use v-power religiously. Trying to explain to people why i drive 15 mins down the road to a Shell station is impossible - they dont understand. lol, worth the effort though. Costs me an extra £4 or so to re-fil with V-power over standard unleaded. As said...they are mapped for it, and i've also seen the difference it makes in terms of engine cleaning and also engine cooling. Fuel plays a big part in cooling components in the valvetrain, and v-power is designed to help regulate better tjen regular fuel. :)

Dan34

Advanced Member
I use vpower, would be rude not to as there is a Shell within a mile of my house!