What shocks? To go with lowering springs.

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Hi All

I am looking at getting my 5 lowered in a couple of months so I am doing the research now.

Now I have already done alot of research into Springs/Coilovers argument. It is apparent that for the main use of my car, a daily driver, cheap coilovers are not really the best option for me. They will be too crashy and ruin the handiling of my 5.

Hear nothing but good things about Eibach Pro Kit springs, meant to improve the ride of the 5. Excellent stuff, these are not low enough for me but I can simply get the Sportline springs to get the height I want.

Now as the car has done nearly 90k, I am not to keen on keeping the standard shocks, Tom at TGM reckons they are usually fine but I am not keen on the idea my self, personal preference. I spoke to Tom and he said standard OEM shocks will be expensive, I would be better off getting aftermarket shocks to go with the springs.
Naturally... as Bilstein pair up with Eibach, I am looking at these, but I am wondering what other people may have on their cars?

I have already found this thread http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/14816-differences-between-ep3-and-dc5-shocks/ and Tom has explained it has fitted EP3 shocks before so this does not bother me either.

So... What have you got?

Thanks

davidpingu

Advanced Member
As far as I know, nobody on here has yet gone down the Bilstein route so it would be interesting and cool to be the first.

I was almost dead set on a set of the Eibach coilovers because everyone says how much more compliant they are but the only thing that puts me off is it seems acceptable for coilovers to only last about 25% - 50% of the lifetime of oem shocks which I personally wouldn't be happy with.

I'm only going on what I've heard people say, things like "well they do have 35K miles on now so they are about due a change"

Don't know about you but longevity plays an important part for me and I wonder if the Bilsteins would be a better contender with OEM for covering circa 100k miles without too many problems.

More questions than answers from me I know but just throwing my thoughts in to the equation :)

Brecht

Advanced Member
I've got the EP3 Bilstein B8 kit with Eibach Pro springs on my dc5, all fitted perfectly !
Sadly i haven't had the chance to drive it as it's still at work for new paint.
Do have to mention that the B8 kit contains B8 front shocks and B6 rear shocks !!
B6 shocks are for lowering to a max of 30mm so i've been told...

If you have a good search on the forum you can find a few people that had this combo.
Most say it's the perfect combo for a streetcar with the occasional trackday

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
As far as I know, nobody on here has yet gone down the Bilstein route so it would be interesting and cool to be the first.

I was almost dead set on a set of the Eibach coilovers because everyone says how much more compliant they are but the only thing that puts me off is it seems acceptable for coilovers to only last about 25% - 50% of the lifetime of oem shocks which I personally wouldn't be happy with.

I'm only going on what I've heard people say, things like "well they do have 35K miles on now so they are about due a change"

Don't know about you but longevity plays an important part for me and I wonder if the Bilsteins would be a better contender with OEM for covering circa 100k miles without too many problems.

More questions than answers from me I know but just throwing my thoughts in to the equation :)
Valid point! Coilovers cost alot for even mid range ones and 25-50% life is terrible really.
I will let you know when it happens

dave7368 said:
how about get some expensive coilovers..... ;)
Ha this is out of the question. Not only do I not have the funds, If I did I do not think I could warrant the cost

Brecht said:
I've got the EP3 Bilstein B8 kit with Eibach Pro springs on my dc5, all fitted perfectly !
Sadly i haven't had the chance to drive it as it's still at work for new paint.
Do have to mention that the B8 kit contains B8 front shocks and B6 rear shocks !!
B6 shocks are for lowering to a max of 30mm so i've been told...

If you have a good search on the forum you can find a few people that had this combo.
Most say it's the perfect combo for a streetcar with the occasional trackday
Wow excellent stuff did not expect to find anyone else with the setup so easily haha.
Why are the rears B6? Where did you get your kit from? Can I ask how much it cost?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I think if you can get them for the DC5, which I don't believe you can are the Bilstein dampers (not coilovers) or Koni shocks together with Eibach's.

I've just replaced mine with used OEM shocks and Eibach Pro and it's much smoother on most roads than my Tein Mono flex. They are still quite harsh if going over speed bumps, the Sportline's will lower it even more but they're stiffer again.

I'd never go back to coilovers as I don't rate them, they may be fine on a track and for slamming the car looks wise nothing compares. Think the best thing for you mate would be the Sportlines as they're lower with either OEM shocks or Bilstein/Koni shocks.

Brecht

Advanced Member
I paid about +- 880 euro's for my shocks, ordered them from the Netherlands ( All 4 Honda ) as i'm from Belgium myself
Pretty expensive but you can't go wrong with Bilstein ;)
Really don't know why the rear uses B6, maybe because of the light rear end of the ep3 ?
Had a quick search myself and on the bilstein website it also says it's B6 rear and B8 front and they call it the B8 Sprint kit !
http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default.aspx?230=1&36=0&35=171&32=16287&34=0,100121&14=1&10=6EEB0BBDB12E4E5BA634CC333362ED79018001&12=130

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Nope. Tom at tgm had a look at them and they were fine. Didn't seem worth while at the time

p1tse

Advanced Member
I'm needing top mounts so was looking at if it made sense to change shocks at same time

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
How many miles have they done? By the time you got decent shocks youd be better off with some Meister GT1s

p1tse

Advanced Member
Not sure
As the front shocks aren't original ones with the car at 100k coming up

To be honest I have no complaints of the oem and eibach so have, but if it's just suspect top mounts which need doing happy days, but I don't want to go through the process again so soon if the shocks could do with a replacement

I think still life left in them, but for now just living with them

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Mine are original shocks as far as i am aware, clocks show 100k, obviously some of that is kilometres but they are fine