What to do for more power?

Jayk

Advanced Member
Right my cars up for sale, but its not selling. Im supposed to be saving for a house but, to be honest i cant be arsed now.

I want more power whilst i have the car, no point giving it away to someone.

Current mods are: Toda mani, spoon b-pipe, k&n drop in filter, (these are power mods) It has the standard back box but spoken with the likes of cpl/tdi/mardi gras etc who say it wont make much noticable difference at all if i have a spoon or toda back box put on. Handling and brakes are fine, have eibach, engine mounts, semi slicks, ds2500's, mardi gras camber set up,

So what do we think power wise? Would a toda middle section make much difference over the spoon b-pipe?

How about ECU - do i got kpro or mugen? Mardi Gras have recommended a mugen ecu £1100 and im so tempted. However its not mapped on the rollers to your car, its just a plug in and your off vtec gets lowered to 4500 and to 9200, they reckon the map on it will make a huge difference on my car.

Anyone else have this ecu? Also do we know if it will be compatible with Throttle bodies, im looking at jenvey's.

Any help much appreciated, im having abit of a shit time in life at the mo, so im gonna spunk some money on my toy, fuck the world and anyone in it :(

Cheers
Jay

luffy

Advanced Member
is the mugen chip plug and play ?...i thought it had to be mapped? but i think you should definately get an uprated ecu or if you are looking for instant power consider nitrous :lol:

Suped

Advanced Member
Jayk said:
... im having abit of a sh*t time in life at the mo, so im gonna spunk some money on my toy, feck the world and anyone in it :(
Feel for ya mate. Going through the same thing!!! Best therapy comes from the car. :lol: :lol:

Evs

Advanced Member
Just stick with your existing setup and get a K-Pro and map, and if you're happy with the chassis then just enjoy driving it. ITBs are an unproven quantity on the K-series imho, not convinced they'd be worth the money.

Just my 2p.

webbie

Advanced Member
ya cant beat retail therepy on ya car mate ,i have had a shit time the past year i lost my best mate of 11years in a motorbike crash ,spent loads on my car it seems to perk me up when times are difficult i under stand how ya feel mate .btw id go k pro

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Mugen ecu is a waste of money, it wll make some more power than std but your fuel economy will be non existent,as it runs in open loop all the time, expect half or less of what you currently get.

go with a Kpro from system r (tdi north) it will cost you the same and will made to suit your car , i got loads more power than with the mugen ecu and had more economy than the std ecu.
Mardi gras will try to push the mugen as thats what they sell, TDi north will sell you either but will try to sell the Kpro as thats whats best.

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
How come no one talks about Cams? IS it because they are not recommended for a road car? I believe they should be a good mod..

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
From reading up on various people's K-Pro experiences that sounds like best bet for you.

Mapped specifically for your car and will tie in all the mods nicely - people will less mods than you have said how it transforms the car so that should satisfy need for more power.

jonster

Advanced Member
I've had both the Mugen N1 and a mapped KPro on my car. I know the KPro makes more power on the rollers (as expected) than the Mugen but on the road the N1 felt very good in deed. I can't explain why. Tom at TGM found the same when he made the transition. Some people position their Mugen ECU under the standard one and chose which one to plug in when the feel like it. So you can still have your economy. I'm not sure how bad it is for your car to run on a standard ECU when the car's breathing is very good though.

KPro is the best of both worlds really and can accommodate what changes you want to make. Shame you sold your cams now that you've decided you want more power.

martin200

Advanced Member
jonster said:
I'm not sure how bad it is for your car to run on a standard ECU when the car's breathing is very good though.
I have faith in Honda ECU's and would say no problem at all, but in theory it could lean the car out, which ain't good.

Jayk

Advanced Member
cheers for the comments guys. appreciate your help and kind words.
i think the kpro is looking like the best way forward, will speak to TDI. jonster your right, its a pitty i sold the cams, really is.

Martin i wasnt at work today, but will be in tomorrow, let me know when your coming up, i feel like it could be a bad descision you taking me out in that, also wanna see the difference between yours and mine, i know its quite abit but good to see.

will no doubt send you an email from work.

cheers all
Jay

Dibz.dc5

How come no one talks about Cams? IS it because they are not recommended for a road car? I believe they should be a good mod..
Im also thinking the same...wack some cams in and get the kpro tuned to your car and i would of thought this would give the car a good hike in power?

benny

Advanced Member
cams give you 15 more bhp? asked tdi north the other day, not much cheaper than a super charger?