what to go for after a dc5

p_r_e

i cant decide wat to go for after my dc5, im thinking of an evo or something like that, also maybe a golf/bora tdi, any ideas anyone????

Andywilkinson

Advanced Member
I think at some point i'll have to go for an evo, even just for a few months, til i've spent any savings i ever had, just to run the thing :lol:

benny

Advanced Member
how about another dc5 in a diffent colour, either that or an ariel atom the 300 bhp one

DC5.DiBz

For me it would have to be another higher powered N/A car with rear wheel drive...BMW M3 or NSX for example. Altho im still waiting to get a dc5 so got along time yet... :wink:

timp

Advanced Member
what about a few drinks and a nice sleep?

Probably a grown up car or a quad bike :D

dan the man

Advanced Member
p_r_e said:
i cant decide wat to go for after my dc5, im thinking of an evo or something like that, also maybe a golf/bora tdi, any ideas anyone????
an EVO or TDI ?

random or what-- how can we guess what U want when it appears u dont even know. wana go sensible or wana go bonkers? NA or 4WD, japanese or european, hatch of 4doors?..

:| :| :| :| :| :| :|

Dark Blue Mark

Advanced Member
Evo is the only car I would now have if I could afford to do it again.

Best car I have had by far.

Exige is also on the list, but it cant beat the Evo as an all rounder.

matt b

Advanced Member
Not sure either a Carrera GT or a Zonda F :? Tough I know but im kinda heading towards the Zonda to be honest 8)

andyd

Advanced Member
I'm in the same boat. :D

I'm not too sure what to go for at the mo.... :lol:

I've test driven quite a few Evo's now, i like them but left me feeling a bit numb....

I do like the 350z but i think it just lacks the nippyness of the DC5

I've started looking at the Audi's now :lol:

However, 2nd hand car prices have been really falling of late.... so its a good time to bag a bargin :D

JT3173

Advanced Member
Honda S2000 in Omola Orange or in grey with red leather!

The car is great to drive, dare I say like my Caterham! Really it is!
The steering it so presise and the position is near perfect!
Oh, the VTEC is not aggresive but it still gets you to 60 below 6 and looks ace!

Do it! S2000! 8)

bazza

Advanced Member
I would recommend:

:!: S2000
:!: NA1 NSX
:!: FD2 Civic Type R
:!: Exige with K20 swap (a friend has one, great fun!)
:!: Atom

Never driven an Atom but the noise and involvement of the thing I am sure you will agree it deserves a mention.. 8)

vt-marty

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
an EVO or TDI ?
EXACTLY what i thought when i read it....
he doesnt know if he wants a 20mpg guzzla or a 45+mpg oil burner!!!
how can we help? :lol:

i have a 130 brake mk4 golf tdi and although its great for long runs and work commutes i still find it very hard to walk past my dc5 on teh drive each workday and get into teh sluggish oil burner thing...

in fact i crumbled today and its teg time! :lol:

oil burners are decent to a point but will never give the thrill of teh 8500 rpm vtec...

mikegsi

Staff member
vt-marty said:
in fact i crumbled today and its teg time! :lol:
how dare you bring your teg into MY town :wink:

(saying that i was through your way on sunday :D )

bazza

Advanced Member
Dark Blue Mark said:

Buy it for say, £17k for a used MR320 (forgive me, I got out when the prices were crap, they are now even worse), £10k a year on fuel, service bills, replacing clutches and trying to get more power (this is conservative).

How many people have said "im not going to tune it" but the general etiquette on Evo forums is power wins over reliablity and driveability.

So after a year the thing owes you almost £30k.. Resale value? Probably £14k.. I've said it time and time again, for the money, they are simply not worth it..

Buy something that is going to involve you.. :D

celox performance

Advanced Member
Would it be used as a daily driver, track car or a bit of both?

As a track car an Exige would see the DC5 off everytime both on the straights and the bends. An Evo would be faster on the straights, especially when running more boost etc, but the DC5 makes up for it on the straights :D .

I did 4 laps round a track following an Evo 6 which was supposedly 350bhp and the DC5 was quicker round the track if the Evo had bothered to let me past.

On the road though I know the Evo is a very capable car and having more torque than the DC5 and 4wd would make it my choice of road weapon.

Dark Blue Mark

Advanced Member
I bought my FQ300 for £15k (mint - 20k miles) and stuck an extra 10k miles on it, modded it to 386 bhp for £1600, sold it 8 months later for %£15'500.

Nothing went wrong with it, they rarely do.

But yes the running costs were a bit higher. Your sums are a bit one sided though, you would need to compare them to the cost of running another car, ie the differential.

I found that depreciation on Evo 8 & 9's is actually very strong. I lost £5k on my S2000 in 18 months, not going to happen if you buy a well priced low miles Evo IMO.

bazza said:
Dark Blue Mark said:

Buy it for say, £17k for a used MR320 (forgive me, I got out when the prices were crap, they are now even worse), £10k a year on fuel, service bills, replacing clutches and trying to get more power (this is conservative).

How many people have said "im not going to tune it" but the general etiquette on Evo forums is power wins over reliablity and driveability.

So after a year the thing owes you almost £30k.. Resale value? Probably £14k.. I've said it time and time again, for the money, they are simply not worth it..

bazza

Advanced Member
Dark Blue Mark said:
I bought my FQ300 for £15k (mint - 20k miles) and stuck an extra 10k miles on it, modded it to 386 bhp for £1600, sold it 8 months later for %£15'500.

Nothing went wrong with it, they rarely do.

But yes the running costs were a bit higher. Your sums are a bit one sided though, you would need to compare them to the cost of running another car, ie the differential.

I found that depreciation on Evo 8 & 9's is actually very strong. I lost £5k on my S2000 in 18 months, not going to happen if you buy a well priced low miles Evo IMO.

bazza said:
Dark Blue Mark said:

You have had one Evo which you had 8 months.. No big service bills etc. Have one for more than 12 months and you will get the picture.

BTW, Did you ever go on track with it?

Oh and well done, you managed to loose a little money but not a lot.. Some of the poor bastards I know (one guy paid £34k for a brand new MR 340 in 2004, spent £12k putting right what Mitsubishi couldn't be arsed to do plus another £10k on running costs, Ring trips etc and sold it for £19k 20 months later) have lost tens of thousands and they all say the same thing.. I wish I had never done that...

Now my story :shock:

2002 Evo IV - Paid £11250 for it.
Spent around £4k tuning it and sold it for £10,250 9 months later.

2004 Evo VI GSR - Paid £16500 for it.
Spent £8k tuning it and sold it for £13250 14 months later.

2005 Evo VIII MR RS - Paid £19500 for it.
Spent £4k tuning it and sold it for £17500 5 months later.

2006 Evo VI TME RS Monte Carlo - Paid £16500 for it. Spent £9k tuning it and sold it for £14500 10 months later.

In the years I have owned Evo's I have spent the best part of £90,000 on Mitsubishi Evo's. I have gone through well over 2 dozen sets of brake pads, 6 clutches, god knows how many tyres and other niggley bits.

They are fairly reliable in standard form (remember the 6 month/4500 rules and you will be fine - just get the cambelts done at 60 month/45000 miles to save a huge bill) but once tuned its the little things that start to go wrong.

Running the power you claim the OEM clutch wouldn't last long on track (maybe a day if you are mechanically sympathetic).

You are better off buying an FD2 or DC5 and basic tuning such as brakes, suspension and concentrate on driving the thing rather than putting another 100bhp on top of the standard car and constantly waiting for another big bill.

I wish I hadn't bothered. It was only when I drove an S2000 that it woke me up. I had my S2000 for 8 months, lost no money on it, nothing broke. I just had to put fuel and oil in it.

Same with the DC5, lost maybe £1000 in 15 months ownership which I have enjoyed more than my years with the Evo's.

Oh well. Each to their own. Just want to make the picture a little less blurry for the readers of this thread.

bazza

Advanced Member
Dark Blue Mark said:
Brand new 05 XI GSR £33k
Now worth around £23k if you can get anyone to buy it!

Brand new 04 VIII MR 340 £34k
Now worth around £17k if you can get anyone to buy it

Brand new 01 DC5 £22k from Warrenders
Now worth £11k or there abouts 6 years on.