What tyres to go for!??

delsoljon86

Advanced Member
Hi guys just wondering what tyres people are using. I'm looking for a great all round tyre for the fabulous Welsh winter and spring I do about 4K miles a year and it's only used on roads so won't be tracking it and don't really want to be swapping them for summer if they've got good tread on them. Have been recommended the following IMG_8751.JPG just wondering people's thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeyw85

I have RE070 on now and they're great in the dry and not too shabby in the wet. However, in cold weather and particularly frosty/icey/snowy, they'd be terrible i'd think.

delsoljon86

Advanced Member
That's what I'm thinking mate, want a decent all rounder that I don't have to fork out for new tyres in the summer. Saying that I know that there probably isn't a great tyre for winter and summer use just want people's opinions.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Another vote for RE070 here. Good in wet, astounding in the dry, and did well on track.

I won't be changing as long as I can keep getting them.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Mebz

Advanced Member
The new michellen pilot sport 4 is being raved about by everyone I know who has them fitted. They'll most likely be my next daily drive tyre.

2ndy

Advanced Member
I agree with RE070s great tyre for the price. I have them for track tyres and have Yokohama ad08s which are also great but a fair bit pricier, I have another set of re070s to go on my good wheels before mot so they get my vote

delsoljon86

Advanced Member
RE070s even ok for winter!? I don't drive like a douche bag anyway but do enjoy the car when it's safe to. But don't want any arse twitching moments at 40mph kinda thing

Fez

Advanced Member
I loved the re070, but my last set always felt they were a bit crap in the wet,(bad batch maybe) but im now using federal 595rsr again, and they are much worse 😂
My girlfriend has uniroyal rainsport3's on her ep3 and it grips so well in the wet, and dry. I have so much confidence in the wet, i really cant fault them. And will probably buy myself some soon for the winter(fellow welshman here, so feel your pain)

2ndy

Advanced Member
I don't see why there would be anything wron with them over winter, they are more of a summer time but very few tyres are really great in wet/snow/ice just take the bus when weather bad :)

adamamuk

Advanced Member
I'm now running Eagle F1 asymmetric 3s up front asymmetric 2s at the rear.
They have very very good reviews, but as a lot of people say, they do have soft tyre walls.

As I use my car as a daily (around 350 miles a week) I'm happy forgoing abit of tyre wall flex for 'a' rated wet grip.

Getting them in XL size and running them a couple of psi higher is something I have also read about.

This is from tyre reviews:

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Yokohama AD08R, these are a great tyre and work well from cold too.
No tyre other than a winter tyre is really going to be that good in the ice/snow I wouldn't have thought.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Don't get Goodyear eagle f1s! I had them and used them over winter and most of summer, they really don't grip in the wet! The ride was horrible and the dry grip wasn't anything special.

I'm now running ad08s and they're so much better. Better ride, endless grip, great in the wet.

If you've got a budget i'd go for re070 over the eagle f1s.

Kev.W

Advanced Member
Probably not very useful but I've just ordered my first set of AD08R's as I've heard good pointers about them

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
General consensus is re070 for daily / occasional track (as they're cheaper)

Ad08r for weekend / track toy

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
General consensus is re070 for daily / occasional track (as they're cheaper)

Ad08r for weekend / track toy
I wouldn't say AD08r's are track/weekend tyres Luke. They would be great daily tyres too.

RE070's are just the cheaper option. They're around 30quid cheaper a corner lol

mikeyw85

Someone mentioned Uniroyal Rainsports, which is a good shout. I had Rainsport 1 or 2 though, which were a great all year tyre. Coped perfectly well in the hot and dry, but really excelled in wet and even coped with a bit of snow. Probably not a tyre you'd want to take to the track, but a good all-rounder.

masterjedijay

Advanced Member
RE070'S superb in the dry and pretty good in the wet. Don't like standing water so beware. When its a very cold day in the winter they don't warm up very well and you will need to be very careful and I would go for a winter tyre if you are doing country lanes etc especially early morning driving. Eagle F1's even in XL were far too soft for me and weren't that good in the rain compared to the RE070's.

kyle'87

Advanced Member
I've currently got The GoodYear AS2 fitted and they are pretty decent. Over 5000 miles worth they have plenty of grip in the dry and seem to do well in the wet. Haven't driven in the "cold" yet so I can't comment.

I did have UniRoyals RS3 on my Cupra and they were simply amazing. Dry grip was exceptional as well as Wet and Cold, never felt like they would let me down. Only issue was the soft wall, which I went with the XL to reduce, but they always looks squashy. Also wore pretty fast, but they are reasonably priced. Never tracked them.