• SC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turbo

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Well the time has come to move onto the next exciting installement for my beloved 5

She's approaching 200k miles now with a recently reconditioned head and I've done most of the bolt on mods you can do to this engine BUT as always need more power :twistednod

I'm at the cross roads now where I either need to get serious with N/A tuning or go boosted for an easy ride to big power, however all considered with the age of my bottom end, i'm having to really be careful with my next decision otherwise it really could get expensive. I'm 85% decided on my next route (as per my sig) but I wanted to just get a feel for what others would do if in my socks!! and if anything just start a bit of friendly :xdiscussion:

Thanks All

Dan :D

kingston

Advanced Member
Is that 200k miles full Uk miles or a mixture? I thought 140k miles was the record. You do know that the k20 blows itself to smithereens at 80k (going by some members on here) dont you...

Id get the engine checked over first and see if theres anything wrong with it before deciding to go down the big power route. Not saying that anything could be wrong but id want piece of mind - im no engine expert and cant explain myself clearly but im sure you know what i mean.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Is that 200k miles full Uk miles or a mixture? I thought 140k miles was the record. You do know that the k20 blows itself to smithereens at 80k (going by some members on here) dont you...

Id get the engine checked over first and see if theres anything wrong with it before deciding to go down the big power route. Not saying that anything could be wrong but id want piece of mind - im no engine expert and cant explain myself clearly but im sure you know what i mean.
Ohh its miles alright. I'm the first UK owner and did the clock conversion myself 4yrs ago. I have a record of the KMH figure before so the dials has that figure as KMH and the rest are in miles. The clock itself shows like 240,000 or something.

Engine wise, its still making 260BHP and nothing has been changed apart from clutches. It had a recent head rebuild by TDi but apart from that still running well. Natrually oil is dropped every 6-8k miles and always use the best!

THis is however the very reason I'm not considering boost anyway as the inevitable will happen to my bottom end, so the Frank route makes sense as i'll have practically a new engine :) and buckets more tractor power.

seanyreeves

i would boost it personally, you can have a few maps done then, 1 for normal driving, another with a bit more grunt for a sprited drive ;) and then one for when you need big power, and with kpro having boost by gear already you havent got worry too much about traction issues

leejw87

Spoon Whore
I think for you the K24 would be a good route... Supercharger power but with the added benefit of a new bottom end.

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
K24 all the way for me, i wouldn't want to turbo a DC5 as i think it'd lose its character.

Just something about big power N/A for me, i know you'll lose a fair bit of RPM but the torque you'll gain will more than make up for it!

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Wow record miles fair play, I say add the cams to what you have and then see the engine out. Once that go's then go k24

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Wow record miles fair play, I say add the cams to what you have and then see the engine out. Once that go's then go k24
I do like that one I must admit. This way I get my moneys worth from my existing K20 big end and enjoy some more power from CAMS in the short term. I'm then ready with CAMS and injectors when Frank comes along. The question is......WHAT CAMS???

kingston

Advanced Member
From what you've read, what gives up first?
Nothing, im taking the urine out of the 'noobs' who seem to insist that everyone needs to buy a low mileaged car as at 70K+ theres going to be a hole heap of issues involved with one at that mileage - you know the sort.

As youve shown and as many of us know, if looked after they go on 'forever' - didnt an Accord just top 1million miles recently?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Flipping heck you had me worried for a moment I must admit!! Pretty sure I'm still taking the lead on highest mileage K20 ITR though. Probably more over on CTR with more I suspect.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Ive being thinking about a k24 bottom end in the future, i would love the extra torque low down which would make a north wales blast so much better.

The only thing that puts me off is the redline is lower.

I cant remember the figure but i think they dont make power over 7500 rpm

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I cant remember the figure but i think they dont make power over 7500 rpm
Someone might shoot me down in flames here but power is made in the head so providing you forge the internals of the K24 to allow it to sustain greater temps, then it will rev to 8,200ish. No reason why it should stop making power unless there's limitations in the head with valves, injectors or fuel pump etc

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
I thought the stroke of the K24 was a fair bit longer than the K20, so the laws of physics will stop it revving much higher.

Remember the pistons in the FC20 in the S2000 @ 9200rpm move with the same force a formula 1 engine does at 18,000+rpm.