whats a throttle body???

benny

Advanced Member
i know im gonna sound thick!!! but what is one and what does it do? is it worth getting one? believe spoon do good ones?

SiKBoY

Advanced Member
Have a search around on forums and Google mate.

Toda have developed ITB's for the K20 now.

benny

Advanced Member
my how so helpfull!!! i could thought of that? oh hang i did! but thought it would be easier to find out from people that had them and used them? and im still none the wiser?

mikegsi

Staff member
its the bit that does the sucking, spoon one apparently doesnt increase bhp but helps with torque

Jayk

Advanced Member
as mike said, it controls how much air enters ur inlet, controlled by ur right pedal. bore makes a difference as the same as it would on an exhaust. itb's are more air, more fuel higher rate of combustion = more power / torque

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Basically it's the big butterfly valve that is situated before your inlet manifold, and controls the airflow to the engine. It's connected to your accelerator pedal by a cable, thus allowing you to control the airflow to the engine. :D

Uprated ones (like the Spoon one) usually have a larger internal diameter (ID), and a thinner plate (or a knife edged plate) to reduce the diff pressure across it, and allow for a greater airflow.

Typically most cars have a single throttle body feeding a common manifold which feeds all cylinders. However Individual Throttle Bodies (ITB's) are one butterfly valve per cylinder which will give you the maximum airflow to all cylinders. (assuming the air feed to them is optimised) This is standard on BMW M3's and Ferrari's etc, but to install them on a DC5 is tricky because the OEM airflow measurements do not accomodate individual airflows to each cylinder. A lot of time and patience is required to map them correctly, but TBH I am no expert in the technicalities of this, although others have done this with varying degrees of success. :?

mikegsi

Staff member
DC5TU said:
I have a spoon TB for sale!
is it still for sale?

whast the least you'll take! im off to system r in two weeks for a few little tweaks, if the price is right i may take it off you

DC5TU

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
DC5TU said:
I have a spoon TB for sale!
is it still for sale?

whast the least you'll take! im off to system r in two weeks for a few little tweaks, if the price is right i may take it off you
Yeah still for sale, however i require OEM TB Exchange!
PM Me offer!

mikegsi

Staff member
not fussed about swapping tbh mate, i like to try and keep my oem stuff a) as a spare and b) for when i eventually come to sell the car, however i could be swayed if it was cheap enough! say £100 plus my oem one?

DC5TU

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
not fussed about swapping tbh mate, i like to try and keep my oem stuff a) as a spare and b) for when i eventually come to sell the car, however i could be swayed if it was cheap enough! say £100 plus my oem one?
Theres cheap and theres silly offers lol!!!

Considering its condition and price new, £100 is a little on the low side!!Dont you think!!! I Know everyone wants a bargain but im not gonna give it away!!

mikegsi

Staff member
DC5TU said:
mikegsi said:
Theres cheap and theres silly offers lol!!!

Considering its condition and price new, £100 is a little on the low side!!Dont you think!!! I Know everyone wants a bargain but im not gonna give it away!!

no bother mate, gotta try though :wink: