whats suited to my DC5 - Skunk2 or RRC?

DanM

Hello

I bought a DC5 3 months ago and feel its time to replace the IM. I have a few other Honda projects so always have parts lying around. I have searched but couldn't find anything concrete.

I have a Skunk2 intake with Skunk2 70mm throttle body - meant for my k20 crx but that's in a state of flux. I also have a RRC which is tapered to 74mm with a 74mm skunk2 throttle body.

Which should I fit? I have read different reviews on the RRC on fitment issues. Not sure what is true? But my other concern is will my skunk2 match up to the gruppem? or do I need a sfs pipe?

My thinking is the skunk2, but as any petrol head you want the best possible. Or do I save what I have and get a RBC and get ported to 70mm for skunk2 70mm throttle body? Opinions welcome?

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
RRC fits the DC5 chassis perfectly, the EP3 requires slam panel modification so maybe thats what you're thinking of.

74mm throttle body is going to make pulling away and low speed driving very tricky, as it does make the throttle a bit like a switch. However if you have cams or something it will make damn good power. Probably OTT for most people though but if you have it why not.

I believe the Skunk2 inlet manifold sits somewhere between a ported RBC and a ported RRC.

Mark_teg

Staff member
You'll need a new silicone intake hose anyway as the OEM will split in no time with any of them mods.

DanM

Thanks very much for the advice - some very good information to take in

newyorkaddict

Advanced Member
I've got the Skunk IM with a Skunk TB. It is very twitchy in low revs and lately I've found it very easy to nigh on stall. But the throttle response is astounding. I'm using a Thermal Gasket with it aswell just for that added little bit of heat drop. I can't compare it to an OEM as it came on the car, but I do know people's eyes light up when they see it lol.

C2AXG

Advanced Member
Theres a review somewhere on the net about inlet manifolds, the RRC is more suited for high rev hp, the rbc is good for mid and high, the skun2 is like rbc but out of the box porting ect.

im still undecided on which to use for my dc5.
Ive used 70mm ported rbc on my ep3 with Skunk2 throttle body and made good power but was quite twitchy in town,

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
C2AXG said:
Theres a review somewhere on the net about inlet manifolds, the RRC is more suited for high rev hp, the rbc is good for mid and high, the skun2 is like rbc but out of the box porting ect.

im still undecided on which to use for my dc5.
Ive used 70mm ported rbc on my ep3 with Skunk2 throttle body and made good power but was quite twitchy in town,
I think anything with a bigger than standard throttle body is twitchy around town. Its just the way they are.

DanM

Thanks very much for the advice - suppose there is pros and cons for both as has been said. I had some advice from a US tuner that unless you are going for max power, a RBC and stock TB is best for everyday - that won't be happening since I already have the RRC and skunk2.

beppe786

Beppe
in general i wouldn't change from stock throttle body .. how much more gain will it give only a few hp

going past 8500rpm you would see good gains, on supercharged car only gives 10hp on NA how much you guys expecting from throttle body?

just my 2p